• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need help from all of the car seat experts.

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:12 PM
  • 13 Replies

What is a good seat for extended rear-facing and then extended harnessing?  We bought our convertible car seat very quickly without really doing much research and then everyone on here has told me that it isn't good for forward facing or maybe just for a booster I don't really remember which (which I don't plan to do for a while). 

Eddie Bauer Deluxe 3-in-1 Car Seat - Westport - Dorel Juvenile Group  - Babies

Eddie Bauer Deluxe 3-in-1 Car Seat - Westport

This is the car seat that we currently have.  Should we get a different car seat now or wait?  What is a good one to get?  We want to rear face and harness as long as possible, she will be two in a week, weighs about 28lbs. and I am not sure about her height right now. We don't have a ton of money, although we could use or tax refund when we get it, to get a new one but obviously if we need to we can.  Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I was going back and forth between this and talking on the phone.  Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
armygirl16
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:17 PM

That carseat is definitly not a good one for ERF.  Children tend to grow out of it very quickly.  What carseat you want depends on your child.  I have a taller but very thin baby.  She is 17 months, 21 lbs and 31 3/4 inches.  I chose to get a carseat that had a very tall shell even though the weight limit goes to 35lbs.  If your baby is heavier then you may want to go with a 40lbs RFing limit.  Like the Graco MyRide65.  That one harnesses to 65lbs FF as well.  The Radian will get you the longest probably but it doens't fit in most cars.  It doesn't fit in mine.  The radian RF to 45lbs and FF to 80lbs (the Radian 80 and XTSL).  The True Fit Premier is the one I would recommend if your child is thinner.  Children tend to outgrow height before weight.  The Premier has an anti-rebound bar which makes it sooo much safer.  It has an extremly tall shell it RF to 35lbs and FF to 65lbs.  This in my 17 month old dd in her True Fit Premier.  She has TONS of room!

jrp0606
by on Jan. 28, 2010 at 10:35 PM

I def would run FAR FAR FAR away from any of the three in ones.

They really are not worth your money - they are a pain to install correctly - and are outgrown way... too soon.

What type of budget do you have?  what type of car? and how big is your little one now?

some of my favorites are the Graco MyRide which rearfaces to 40lbs and harnesses to 65lbs so should get you to booster age. about $150

The First Years Truefits - rearfaces to 35lbs and harness to 65lbs.  It also has one of the tallest shells available in a convertible so should last to the weight limits. about $180

and the Evenflo Triumph Advance which rearfaces to 35lbs and harnesses to 50lbs. about $110

Also any of the Britax convertibles would be a safe and good bed.

I'm Jessi, 28 year old SAHM to one crazy three year old Austin, currently harnessed in a Britax Frontier.  I'm a Child Passanger Safety Technician (CPST).  We only get one chance in a motor vehicle accidents, the decisions you make can save your childs life.  To find out more follow me here.

MommaBunch84
by on Jan. 28, 2010 at 10:35 PM

My boys basically have the same seat you have. They RF in it until 27months. That was when they outgrew it RF in height. Then by 29 months they were moved to the last USABLE slot on the seat. They are 30 months now and Connor LITERALLY has about 2 cm before he outgrows the seat all together. I'm buying them new seats as soon as I get my tax return, which will be with in 10 days.

Could you measure your daughters torso? Sit her on the floor, back flat against the wall, and measure her from the top of the shoulders to the floor. That is how you measure torso height. Thats what matters the most when looking for a new seat.

Also what is the harness weight limit on your seat?

I'm Ashley! I'm 25 & married to my high school sweetheart Chris. Together for 8 1/2 yrs now. We have 2 1/2 yr old blue eyed, blonde curly haired fraternal twin boys, Mason & Connor. Who Rear Faced to the Max & now will be Harnessed to the Max! I am a SAHM and a proud Child Safety Passenger Advocate (CPSA). Have car seat questions? PM me or join the Car Seat Safety Group HERE.

ZoeCY
by on Jan. 28, 2010 at 11:43 PM

As far as budget goes it really depends on our tax return if it is what we think it will be (we do our taxes on Feb 13th) we would be fine with any of those prices.  If it isn't what we think it will be then we could probably still do the $150. 

We have a Chevy Silverado (I can't remember the year right now, sorry it is late!!  It is a four door though) which it would be primarily in.  We also have a 2006 Chevy Malibu that it would be good if it could fit in.

As far as size these are approximate because she wanted to play with the scale and tape measurer and didn't really want to sit against the wall.  Weight- 28 pounds Height- 34" Torso- 20"

Thank you so much for all of the advice I really appreciate it!!

Quoting jrp0606:

I def would run FAR FAR FAR away from any of the three in ones.

They really are not worth your money - they are a pain to install correctly - and are outgrown way... too soon.

What type of budget do you have?  what type of car? and how big is your little one now?

some of my favorites are the Graco MyRide which rearfaces to 40lbs and harnesses to 65lbs so should get you to booster age. about $150

The First Years Truefits - rearfaces to 35lbs and harness to 65lbs.  It also has one of the tallest shells available in a convertible so should last to the weight limits. about $180

and the Evenflo Triumph Advance which rearfaces to 35lbs and harnesses to 50lbs. about $110

Also any of the Britax convertibles would be a safe and good bed.

ZoeCY
by on Jan. 28, 2010 at 11:45 PM

Her torso is about 20" it isn't precise because she didn't want to sit up against the wall for very long and really just wanted to play with the tape measurer. 

I believe that our current car seat only harnesses to 40 pounds.

Quoting MommaBunch84:

My boys basically have the same seat you have. They RF in it until 27months. That was when they outgrew it RF in height. Then by 29 months they were moved to the last USABLE slot on the seat. They are 30 months now and Connor LITERALLY has about 2 cm before he outgrows the seat all together. I'm buying them new seats as soon as I get my tax return, which will be with in 10 days.

Could you measure your daughters torso? Sit her on the floor, back flat against the wall, and measure her from the top of the shoulders to the floor. That is how you measure torso height. Thats what matters the most when looking for a new seat.

MommaBunch84
by on Jan. 28, 2010 at 11:50 PM

Are you sure that is shoulders to butt sitting? No way that is possible. My boys are 2 1/2 with long torsos and they are just about 15in

My guess would be closer to 13in from her pic

Quoting ZoeCY:

Her torso is about 20" it isn't precise because she didn't want to sit up against the wall for very long and really just wanted to play with the tape measurer. 

Quoting MommaBunch84:

I'm Ashley! I'm 25 & married to my high school sweetheart Chris. Together for 8 1/2 yrs now. We have 2 1/2 yr old blue eyed, blonde curly haired fraternal twin boys, Mason & Connor. Who Rear Faced to the Max & now will be Harnessed to the Max! I am a SAHM and a proud Child Safety Passenger Advocate (CPSA). Have car seat questions? PM me or join the Car Seat Safety Group HERE.

MommaBunch84
by on Jan. 28, 2010 at 11:53 PM

Also, does your current seat harness to 40 or 50lbs?

Is she currently RF in it? If she is, go to this link, measure her in her seat and tell us how much room she has left about her head for RF.

http://car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=30201&highlight=measure+rear+facing

ZoeCY
by on Jan. 28, 2010 at 11:56 PM

Oh haha sorry yeah those measurements were from the other day and another person who told me to do it that way didn't say to stop at the shoulders so that includes her head.  She is in bed now but I will remeasure her in the morning. 

Quoting MommaBunch84:

Are you sure that is shoulders to butt sitting? No way that is possible. My boys are 2 1/2 with long torsos and they are just about 15in

My guess would be closer to 13in from her pic

Quoting ZoeCY:

Quoting MommaBunch84:

ZoeCY
by on Jan. 28, 2010 at 11:57 PM

It harnesses to 40 pounds.  And yes she is RF.

Thanks I will check her in the morning and reply again.

Thank you so much for all of your help!

Quoting MommaBunch84:

Is she currently RF in it? If she is, go to this link, measure her in her seat and tell us how much room she has left about her head for RF.

MommaBunch84
by on Jan. 29, 2010 at 12:01 AM

LOL. I knew you had to include her head in there. Yeah measure like the link shows and it will give us an idea of when you may need a new seat. My boys outgrew their 3-n-1's at 27 months RF. I wanted to get to 3yrs old. But my boys also have long torsos. So measuring her in her seat will help better.

Quoting ZoeCY:

It harnesses to 40 pounds.  And yes she is RF.

Thanks I will check her in the morning and reply again.

Thank you so much for all of your help!

Quoting MommaBunch84:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)