Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can I clean my fish tank.....

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:26 PM
  • 1 Replies

because I think my fish have ick. My goldfish have turned white....I know there is something you can buy at the store to help rid ick but I don't have the money until Friday. So would it hurt to clean the tank? Is the water like contaminated or can I get sick?

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
mcginnisc
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:59 PM

Yes...clean your tank..HOWEVER- DO NOT TAKE ALL THE WATER OUT!!

(typically all of this hinges on what size tank, how many fish, etc...but here are some general guidelines for you..)

When you clean your tank, you only want to do a partial water change and use a siphon to clean the gravel.

When a fish has Ich- it will have little white spots all over the body and fins...it is not transmittable to us. I would recommend that when you are able to get the medication that you get Rid-Ich...it is a liquid and will turn the water blue.. it is 1 tsp per 10 gallons of water. Change 10% of the water, treat daily for 5 days, then do another 10% water change. When you treat the tank, tank any carbon filters out of the tank as they will draw the meds out of the water. After you treat the tank, replace the filter cartridges.

I've had fish for over 20 years, so let me know if you have any questions...

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phillipians 4:13

Admin- International Adoption Connection

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)