Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Directv or Dish Network? any others?????

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:58 PM
  • 23 Replies

Up until this past July I"ve always had Cable.  In July I just couldnt swing the $200+  a month bill. My last one was actually $240  So we had our cable shut off.   Next week we plan on getting satelite TV.   So looking for customers who've had one or both which do you prefer.   Right now I'm leaning towards Direct TV.  But am unsure????

I just wanted to thank everyone for their input.  I did in the end go with Direct TV Because I was able to go thru verizon and bundle it with my pre existing phone and internet service.  I got the channels I wanted plus the DVR service  and  a year of Showtime for free  and only a 1 year contract. And my bill just shrunk by $20.  With tax and stuff I'll be paying about $6 more a month than i am now and have TV again.   When I told them that i spoke with alot of other women that liked dishnetwork  due to customer service  he waived the $300 deposit fee.  so no up front costs that i thought i would of had to pay  lol

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:00 PM

We have had Dish Network for a little over 3 years.  We haven't had any problems with them.  When we built our house sattelite was the only thing available - no cable.  I think they have FIOS here now, but we have no desire to switch.

pellen
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:03 PM

Have Dish Network, love Dish Network. They have always been very helpful over the phone and online and we very very rarely have any down time during storms with them.

CafeMom Tickers

I am a live off the land, hunting, fishing, meat eating, only child raising, republican, cat owning, spanking when nessesary, southern country living type of Momma!

Msgme
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:06 PM

Quoting Crazy-Steph:

We have had Dish Network for a little over 3 years.  We haven't had any problems with them.  When we built our house sattelite was the only thing available - no cable.  I think they have FIOS here now, but we have no desire to switch.

I'm having an issue with trying to figure out which channels are in which package on Dishnetworks site.    I had an easier time figuring out diretv's line up.  But i want to make the best choice with the most channels for what I'm willing to spend.  I dont just want to go with one becaue they have an easier website. 

If you dont mind my asking which package do you have?

Trishintraining
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:06 PM

We have Dish Network, have for about two years, and we love them. They can almost always come within a day or two to set up any new equiptment, and if there's a problem, will send some one out right away to fix it.

Trishintraining
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Side note... I LOVE YOU'RE AVATAR!!!

fatcat0908
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:10 PM

My husband used to own his own home theater install company. Dish Network is usually cheaper and if you are getting it just to get the channels it's a good choice. If you are looking to seriously watch TV in high-def and have premium channels then spend a little more and go with DirectTV. Both are reliable so it really all just depends on how you are wanting to watch tv and which has the better channel line up (and more high-def channels) for your needs.

Were you married in 2001? If so, come join us at 2001 Anniversaries.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/17057/

Msgme
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:11 PM

Quoting Trishintraining:

Thank you... I'm a huge Fan of The Doctor   as is my 11 year old dd.  She's even gonna play him in a school play. well a female version of him anyway.    Altho I'm still very upset with the Finale of this year.

Rubygl00m
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:12 PM

We have Dish Network. Love it other than we are in a contract. Its about up though and have not decided whether we will keep it or go back to cable.

Trishintraining
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Quoting Msgme:

Quoting Trishintraining:

Thank you... I'm a huge Fan of The Doctor   as is my 11 year old dd.  She's even gonna play him in a school play. well a female version of him anyway.    Altho I'm still very upset with the Finale of this year.

Me too :(. We actually upgraded our Dish Network package JUST to get BBCA so I could watch the finale on tv instead of online.. boo, lol.

oboe_chik
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:14 PM

We have dish network...we don't have the option of cable because of where we live. The only problem I have EVER had with them was when it was getting installed the installer was rude and a complete ass cussing in front of my kids. Turns out he was an independent contractor that had complaints filed against him before and was finally fired after we filed a complaint against him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)