Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child support: What if the dad ain't working?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:00 PM
  • 13 Replies

What will they do if the dad isn't working to get him to pay child support?  Is he just off scott free or do they make him pay a minimum amount?  I guess they can't garnish his wages so they will expect him to pay voluntarily?

2qtg9bp.gif picture by amandarose1980
impressed.gif picture by amandarose1980determined.gif picture by amandarose1980chipper.gif picture by amandarose1980
23d8c2925e3a6f992bf8f8aa31a4b86403a.jpg picture by amandarose1980                 39cc23162ed4990939d6f89a2d7759839ea.jpg picture by amandarose1980
SOOKNBILL01.jpg picture by amandarose1980

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momathome86
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:02 PM

my ex is getting paid under the table and the state can't get him on it so I don't get a penny.

Pregnancy%20ticker

southernjess3
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:02 PM

haha....mine was supposed to pay $5.00 a week. But we NEVER saw it..lol

CafeMom Tickers

Shy_Dia
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:02 PM

they'll calculate what he COULD be making (min. wage) and set that up. until he gets a job, the CS amount will just keep adding and adding. i think after a while, he can go to court and end up in jail for not paying-- but then that means there'll be no payments that way either. lol

21 year old single mom of a 4 year old boy. Not sure exactly what kind of mom I am, but I get a chance to better myself everyday. My biggest goal for 2010 is to break out of my shell.

~~~ I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
charmgirl
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:03 PM

I was told that in MD, $50 is the absolute minimum for C/S, even if they dont have a job, 50 a month. But that's just hearsay.

hallen08
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:03 PM

They will hound him with everything, every time he gets a new job, they'll be right there to garnish, and he has back payments to make, which means (this is by state) that he won't be able to get anything back from taxes until that back support is paid, and he can't do anything, like get a passport, or leave the country..... I know, because dh has looked into it because his ex is a total B*&$# (don't think less of him, he wants to be there for his kids, and he's paying it now, but she tries to up it every couple of months it seems).

mamajen07
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:04 PM

where i live it's calculated depending on his income, if a parent makes LESS than 7 grand, you pay $0. =( it's stupid. if the parent hasn't given up their rights, there should be a minimum amount.

TheFoo
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:05 PM

In Minnesota they will suspend your drivers licence and not let you have it back till you can prove you are paying child support again.

CafeMom Tickers
pellen
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:06 PM

I have been told by a person who was without a job that your child support will not change unless it is taken to court. His child support should be the same amount he was paying when he did have a job.

CafeMom Tickers

I am a live off the land, hunting, fishing, meat eating, only child raising, republican, cat owning, spanking when nessesary, southern country living type of Momma!

KDeneau71009
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:08 PM

my husbands dad never held a job but they still went after him for child support....but it was like $5.00 and he's never paid and owes like over $200,000...he was even in an accident and was going to get a settlement but chose not to because it would all go to his back child support....talk about a DEAD BEAT! They don't really even go after him for it either...i think my mother in law received a few $8.00 checks just recently and my husband is 28

2boys_1girl
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:09 PM

In my state they will compute his POTENTIAL income.

If he doesn't pay for 3 or more months they will take his driver's license.

If he sits on it after that for a few more months they will throw him in jail.

Then if someone bails him out you get that cash.

In the meantime they will garnish ANY money coming his way that they can including but not limited to tax returns etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)