Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tips on getting an almost 1 year old to eat?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:18 PM
  • 8 Replies

So, I've just started being a SAHM last monday and I've been preparing all my daughters meals. I know she should be eating mostly by herself now, right? The problem is this...she eats until she's not hungry anymore, but not until she's actually full. Then she gets bored and starts throwing food on the ground for the dog! Also, if she doesn't like the texture she won't eat it at all. Just goes right on the floor.

The last few days I've been letting her eat by herself for the first half of the meal, and then feeding her the rest of the meal. I don't know if that's good, bad, neither. Does anyone have any tips or tricks?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Brooklynsmom119
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:28 PM

i would say to keep trying to introduce different types of food and let her feed herself. if shes finish take the food away and when shes hungry again let her eat. 

Brooklyn's Mommy

breastfeeding I'm a huge fan of whipping out the boob! Lets feed our children!

Breast are actually for breastfeeding. Society makes breast sexual which makes mothers uneasy about feeding their children the way God intended for them to be fed. Remember that the breasts function are to feed our babies, not for a mans amusement.

lovemymarine306
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:31 PM

first of all, try not to expect her to eat like a toddler, which is no easier.  and when a one year old starts throwing food, it means she's done...you take the food away.  this is the beginning of "how do i get my kid to eat" time in your life.  my dd is 2 and i'm still looking for answers!  lol

Lissachck
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:35 PM

LOL! Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one! I thought she was just being a stinker...which she has a tendancy to do. Not even a year old and already a Diva. With the capital D.

Quoting lovemymarine306:

first of all, try not to expect her to eat like a toddler, which is no easier.  and when a one year old starts throwing food, it means she's done...you take the food away.  this is the beginning of "how do i get my kid to eat" time in your life.  my dd is 2 and i'm still looking for answers!  lol

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
twitchymom78
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:38 PM

i would just make a big deal about how good the food is and how yummy it is lol  she felt like she was missing out on something and eat.  now that she is 3, it is a little harder... she still will eat but not much

trist22
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:40 PM

You basically answered your own question. How do YOU know she isn't full?  Babies stomachs are about the size of their tiny fist.. It is even normal if she only eats one bite at breakfast, two bites at lunch and then gobbles down a jar or two at night. Right now she is discovering many things (independance included). Don't force the issue, just introduce interesting, healthy foods.  Up to age one their sole nutrition should still come from Breastmilk or Formula..  So it sounds like she is right on track.

Quoting Lissachck:

So, I've just started being a SAHM last monday and I've been preparing all my daughters meals. I know she should be eating mostly by herself now, right? The problem is this...she eats until she's not hungry anymore, but not until she's actually full. Then she gets bored and starts throwing food on the ground for the dog! Also, if she doesn't like the texture she won't eat it at all. Just goes right on the floor.

The last few days I've been letting her eat by herself for the first half of the meal, and then feeding her the rest of the meal. I don't know if that's good, bad, neither. Does anyone have any tips or tricks?

Vandyswife
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:44 PM

My DD is 10 months old...

my issue is she HATES eatting in her high chair.. so we let her eat at the coffee table.. at least for now... our dining room had to be transformed into my office cause i started college.. so we dont even have a dining room table right now.. so she sees mommy and daddy eatting at the coffee table, and wants to too.. STINKER!!!! 

ikesmommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:50 PM

Dont force children to eat beyond when they appear done. Their appetites will vary as they grow up. Your child has preferences like you; give her plenty of options. If it is something you really want her to eat, disguise it in something else.

~Tierra~

Brooklynsmom119
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:57 PM

i knew they had small stomachs and i wonder because my 1 year old eats as much as a 3 year old and is as skinny as a rail. she ate 2 pancakes and an egg for breakfast this morning and i dont know where she puts it all!

Quoting trist22:

You basically answered your own question. How do YOU know she isn't full?  Babies stomachs are about the size of their tiny fist.. It is even normal if she only eats one bite at breakfast, two bites at lunch and then gobbles down a jar or two at night. Right now she is discovering many things (independance included). Don't force the issue, just introduce interesting, healthy foods.  Up to age one their sole nutrition should still come from Breastmilk or Formula..  So it sounds like she is right on track.

Quoting Lissachck:

Brooklyn's Mommy

breastfeeding I'm a huge fan of whipping out the boob! Lets feed our children!

Breast are actually for breastfeeding. Society makes breast sexual which makes mothers uneasy about feeding their children the way God intended for them to be fed. Remember that the breasts function are to feed our babies, not for a mans amusement.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)