• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

People On Public Assistance Are Like 'Stray Animals' and "They Breed"

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:40 PM
  • 234 Replies

GOP Candidate: People On Public Assistance Are Like 'Stray Animals'

Sunday, Jan. 24, 2010
Bauer: Furor over comments won't change stance

By LEROY CHAPMAN JR. - lchapman@thestate.com

Lt. Gov. Andre Bauer said Saturday he could have chosen his words more carefully when he compared people who take public assistance to stray animals Friday.
But Bauer, in an interview with The State Saturday, said a furor over his comments doesn't change this fact: South Carolina needs to have an honest conversation about the cycle of government dependency among its poorest residents.
Bauer, a two-term Republican who is running for governor, said there are parents who are dependent upon the government for food and shelter, but who are unwilling to engage in their children's education. This, he said, robs children of a chance to break out of poverty.

And as a candidate for governor, Bauer said, now is the time to start talking about something that others are unwilling to tackle. Bauer said he wants to lead that conversation.
"Why shouldn't you have to do something?" Bauer asked of people receiving food stamps, free school lunches and public housing. "In government, we are too often giving a handout instead of a hand up."
Friday, Bauer said giving food to needy people means encouraging dependence. It also gives the recipients a license to have children who will also be dependent on public aid, he said.
"My grandmother was not a highly educated woman, but she told me as a small child to quit feeding stray animals," Bauer told a Greenville-area crowd. "You know why? Because they breed.
"You're facilitating the problem if you give an animal or a person ample food supply. They will reproduce, especially ones that don't think too much further than that. And so what you've got to do is you've got to curtail that type of behavior. They don't know any better."

To read  the rest:

http://www.thestate.com/local/story/1125111.html

Come on over and read my abortion rights blog:

http://wingnutwatch.typepad.com/wingnutwatch/

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blakie123
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:42 PM

** sigh**

savannahnhi
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:42 PM

popcorn

futureshock
by Emerald Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:43 PM

How did a person like this get elected to anything?

bluesky51201
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:43 PM

While the stray animal comment was a little much I agree with most of it.  PA doesn't offer much of a hand up and help people get off the system, it enables them.  Some (not all) rely almost entirely to support themselves and their families and don't do anything to try to better their situations or anything else.

UxorQuodMatris
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:44 PM

Wow. 

alwaysyoung
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:44 PM

bump

mitch576
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:46 PM

lmao!

grabs tinfoil hat... shit storm umbrella and runs like hell right out of this post!

ADMIN FOR AUTISM, ASPERGER'S, PDD AWARENESS.

OWNER OF "THE ORIGINAL 30 AND BEYOND GROUP"   ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTIONS
come check out "the cafe" at cafe mom!!!! 

Join us at The Cafe - - Cafe Group Mod

lyranightshade
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:46 PM

I don't know, but I'm shocked and disgusted. He 'could have chosen his words a litle better'? Really? You think? I agree there are people abusing the system, but it's in place so that children are safe, fed, and sheltered.. they have no control over what their parents do. In the end, ultimately, it's the children that will suffer. I justt.. I'm beyond shocked.

Quoting futureshock:

How did a person like this get elected to anything?

joshbellamom
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:47 PM

shruggingWell all I'm going to say to this is it's ok for people that need a little help to get on their feet because I will admit that I had to get assistance when I was out of a job, but I got a job and I obviously ended the assistance I was getting. Some people though I feel take advantage of the system. He probably shouldn't have said it in the way he did, but it does hold some truth.

futureshock
by Emerald Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:48 PM

When I meet people who are on PA and they tell me that they vote Republican, I always shake my head.  THIS op is what MANY in the Republican Party think of you, and you vote for them???

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)