• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

maybe a stupid question but i dont want to kill my kid

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:14 PM
  • 11 Replies

so both my 2 yr old and 5 mo old have colds. I have never had to do the saline in the nose thing. But I think i should with my 5 mo old because her lil nose is all kinds of icky.

HOW DO I DO IT WITHOUT DROWNING HER ?

So I just squirt it in then sucky bulb it out ?

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NavyWifey122305
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:17 PM

bump

jcsg

Lay him on his back on the floor with a pillow under his butt.  You might need to put your legs on top of his arms and his head right between your knees.  (he's going to squirm a lot)  Then just let the saline drop into his nostrils.  Wait a couple of minutes and then start sucking the gunk out.  

mitch576

lean her forward on your lap... and go slowly. it will be fine. if she starts to cough.. you did too much.

and.. aspirating saline won't kill you in small amounts. it's only if you flood the kid will you really have a problem

ADMIN FOR AUTISM, ASPERGER'S, PDD AWARENESS.

OWNER OF "THE ORIGINAL 30 AND BEYOND GROUP"   ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTIONS
come check out "the cafe" at cafe mom!!!! 

Join us at The Cafe - - Cafe Group Mod

mommy2twoangel

With the 5 mo old, don't squirt it in.  Lay them on your knees on their back with their head slightly hanging down.  Put the saliene drops in her nose and let it drip a coupld drops.  Let her sit like that for a few seconds and it will loosen up.  Sometimes they will sneeze and snot comes out, but if not then use the bulb to suck it out. 

JADIEBUG
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:18 PM

Squirt it up the nose....Let it sit for a few minutes then suction. I promise you won't drown her. I had to do it so much the first year of my son's life.

gmdrop

Im pretty sure you squeeze it in while she is sitting up and it comes and you use the sucky bulb. I never had to use it on my dd when she was a baby but she is 9 and does it herself now. Thats what she does, is squeeze it up there and then hang over the sink hehe

Please Pray for the Fort Hood Families

army

LukesMama721

Yeah, just put a drop or two in and squeeze it out with the bulb syringe. You won't drown her, but you may make her mad! lol My son hates when I do it, so be prepared for lots of squirming. I usually do one nostril at a time, so they aren't laying there with saline in both sides of their nose. =) Good luck!! 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

NavyWifey122305
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:19 PM

oh god im NERVOUS hahahaha !

NavyWifey122305
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:21 PM

Thanks everyone !!!!  ...... now i have to remember where i put the stupid saline stuff at.

davidjames07
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:22 PM

one or two drops isn't going to kill her. Just lay her down and tilt her head slightly backwards, and put a drop or two into her nose. If that doesn't work you can add another drop. After a few mins just suction out. If you do too much, it won't hurt her. It's just saline. Not a big deal. I thought I was going to drown ds too, but after a few times of doing it, its not a bad deal. Good luck mama and I hope your LO's get better soon.

Breastfeeding/formula feeding, non-circumcising, vaccinating, co-sleeping, disposable diapering, spanking when needed, forward faced at 1, feed my son whatever he wants in moderation,  Wife to Joey since 01/06, mother to David James since 07/12/07, and pregnant with baby number two due June 7, 2010.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)