Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

W-2 & 3rd party sick pay?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:22 PM
  • 5 Replies

I got short term disability last year from Feb - May for maternity leave. I just noticed on my W-2 that "Third Party Sick Pay" was checked off. Does that mean my pay I received for my leave was figured into this W-2, or do I have to wait for the insurance company to send me their own W-2?

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
oboe_chik
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:23 PM

Yep thats exactly what it means. Did the company provide you with the disibility coverage? Or did you pay for it out of your paycheck?

piercedbeauty21
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:26 PM

The company provided it for me for 10 weeks 1 day. So does this mean I can go file my taxes and not worry about something extra coming to me in the mail? lol

Quoting piercedbeauty21:

I got short term disability last year from Feb - May for maternity leave. I just noticed on my W-2 that "Third Party Sick Pay" was checked off. Does that mean my pay I received for my leave was figured into this W-2, or do I have to wait for the insurance company to send me their own W-2?

pinkbrooklyn
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:28 PM

I had the same thing because I was on maternity leave last year from Jan-Mar.  I just filed my taxes and was told that everything was included on the W-2 that the insurance company sent. 

Of course ask a tax expert though...

oboe_chik
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:28 PM

Yeah as long as you aren't waiting on any other interest statements, tuition statements then yes you can file now. If you pay for the disibility policy out of your own pocket the proceeds aren't taxable so thats the only reason I was wondering. DH has been on disibility almost all of last year but we pay for the policy out of pocket so none of its taxable. He auctually made close to 60K but we only have to report 9K so its going to be a fun year lol.

Quoting piercedbeauty21:

The company provided it for me for 10 weeks 1 day. So does this mean I can go file my taxes and not worry about something extra coming to me in the mail? lol

Quoting piercedbeauty21:

piercedbeauty21
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:36 PM

Thank you both soooo much. I didn't want to file my taxes just to find out that I have more crap coming..lol. This year is gonna be a good year!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)