Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my poor puppies, (they are still alive, but they feel like crap right now) *edit*

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:46 PM
  • 13 Replies

DH went and picked out a new collar for his puppy. She needed one and he picked out a really nice looking one. Well, we are asked to keep the collars on our dogs at all times (We live on a military post) So, we did.... until Saturday night.

My lab was playing with the puppy (she is about the same size as the lab) He got his teeth stuck in one of the holes that are used to hold the collar in place. He tried to pull away and ended up twisting the collar, so he started choking the puppy.....it took about 4 minutes to get that collar off, because it was like a belt, and I couldn't get my hands close enough to try and un belt it....the puppy passed out and my lab started screaming (it was horrible, my poor little boy was crying)

We finally got them disentangled.....Dh took the puppy to the vet today, because although she is acting fine, her left eye is really red.

We are going to take the collar back and we have since bought a new one, we went the next day.....

I know it is a rare thing to happen, but, if you own more than one dog and have a collar like this on any of them, please, watch them carefully.

DH is back withh the puppy and she is fine, other than the red eye and a really sore throat.  But here is the collar

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kaelansmom
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:47 PM

DH took the collar to the vet with him, to show them, as soon as he gets back, I will put a pic up of the collar. 

marilyn623
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:47 PM

poor puppy! hope he gets better!

pellen
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:49 PM

Oh my goodness! I hope puppy is doing better! That is a terrible thing to happen!

CafeMom Tickers

I am a live off the land, hunting, fishing, meat eating, only child raising, republican, cat owning, spanking when nessesary, southern country living type of Momma!

Kaelansmom
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:54 PM

Thank you, Dh should be home soon, then i will know how the puppy is doing

Kaelansmom
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:14 PM

bump

lyranightshade
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:16 PM

I know how terrifying that must have been.. I'm so sorry your little boy had to see that. Try a quick release collar next time. Much safer than the belted ones.. Glad to hear that both dogs are okay!

Kaelansmom
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Quoting lyranightshade:

I know how terrifying that must have been.. I'm so sorry your little boy had to see that. Try a quick release collar next time. Much safer than the belted ones.. Glad to hear that both dogs are okay!

We did, got them yesterday, still nervous about leaving their collar  on them though.

ctfirsttimemom
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:20 PM

that must have been so scary!!!  I'm glad the puppy is okay!

mitch576
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:20 PM

i've never even seen a collar like the one pictured before.

does it have a specific purpose? like.. to prevent pulling or to handle dominance?

we use a standard collar that is "padded"

it has like, rubber padding on the inside which is both more hygienic and helps protect their neck from them pulling.

i'm glad your puppy is o.k. "{ sorry you went through that.

on a side note... one of my dog's uses a harness... no holes in it at all so less of a chance of anything getting "stuck"

ADMIN FOR AUTISM, ASPERGER'S, PDD AWARENESS.

OWNER OF "THE ORIGINAL 30 AND BEYOND GROUP"   ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTIONS
come check out "the cafe" at cafe mom!!!! 

Join us at The Cafe - - Cafe Group Mod

two4one
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:22 PM

I have never seen a colar like that. Wierd. Thanks for sharing, it may save another pup's life. I have the kind of collar that you click together on my dog.

Mom of twins

Peyton and Mackenzie~11/22/04

Do Not Breed or Buy Labels

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)