Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WTF? My Bank Is Stealing Money From My Account!!!!!

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:49 PM
  • 82 Replies

So I get this thing in the mail from my bank today. I have a seperate account from my husband's that is just mine...it's for "spending" money and what not...

anyways, I get this thing from my bank today that says that on January 13th, they tried to take $9.47 out of my account. Then it says that since I did not have enough in there that they had to take out a $20 overdraft charge.

Well, I have not used my bank account in about 2 months so I go online to check my online bank statement.

The bank statement says that a transaction from Burger King went through on the 13th for $9.47.

DH and I did have a little snack from BK that day, but he used his debit card...which is to a seperate account...and the total was only like $5 something..

Anyways, I checked my purse and my debit card is still in there...so it wasn't stolen or anything.

I know I have to call them tomorrow to get this straightened out..but what are the chances that they would believe me if I have no proof?

I seriously have not used my debit card since like November or something like that...it was shortly after I bought my laptop and I bought that in October...

Army wife to Chad (12/28/2007) army

Mommy to Jeffrey (10/14/2009) baby boy

Military Moms
Join us on The Military Moms Group - -Military Moms Group Mod

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jennifer_236
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:51 PM

what bank is it?

oboe_chik

I would say its more likely the store than your bank. I would dispute the charge with them.

KristynRuth

I hate banks! I closed my account last year because off all the random fees they were charging me. I don't know, but good luck fighting the government ahem, I mean the bank.

cheermom624
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:54 PM

Ok first BANKS DON"T STEAL MONEY.

If you are on your husbands account, it may be possible that they are paying something of his (an NSF for example) out of yours because you are responable for it as a joint owner.

You need to determine how it was taken out. If it was taken with the pin, you will most likely need a police report. If it was taken w/o a pin (on the credit side) then you need to just dispute the transaction.

Don't walk into the bank tomorrow and accuse them of stealing from you. I promise you will not get any answers

lcappytan05
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:54 PM

Community Bank/Bank of America

Quoting Jennifer_236:

what bank is it?

Military Moms

LuvmySFSGT
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:56 PM

Are your accounts linked?

I have 2 separate accounts that are linked together...I keep the bulk of my money in 1 and I only keep $1500-$2000 in the other one...sometimes I forget to transfer money or I decide to make a large purchase I didn't "plan" and they will pull from the other account.

lcappytan05
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:56 PM

okay...wasn't saying that...it was just the title for me to get some views on this post...

and no, I am not on my husband's account...

the thing is, the card has not been used in 2-3 months...so that's what i don't get.

Quoting cheermom624:

Ok first BANKS DON"T STEAL MONEY.

If you are on your husbands account, it may be possible that they are paying something of his (an NSF for example) out of yours because you are responable for it as a joint owner.

You need to determine how it was taken out. If it was taken with the pin, you will most likely need a police report. If it was taken w/o a pin (on the credit side) then you need to just dispute the transaction.

Don't walk into the bank tomorrow and accuse them of stealing from you. I promise you will not get any answers

Military Moms

lcappytan05
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:57 PM

nope, they aren't linked...other than we have the same last name...but the charges aren't even the same (I just checked his statement as well).

Quoting LuvmySFSGT:

Are your accounts linked?

I have 2 separate accounts that are linked together...I keep the bulk of my money in 1 and I only keep $1500-$2000 in the other one...sometimes I forget to transfer money or I decide to make a large purchase I didn't "plan" and they will pull from the other account.

Military Moms

StudioM
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:58 PM

Your bank isn't stealing it,b ut someone is. Dispute it with the bank and find out what burger king it was and dispute with them. Request a new card and/or close that account and open a new one.

lcappytan05
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:58 PM

how do I do that if I have no proof other than what the bank just sent me? I have no proof I didn't use my card...

Quoting oboe_chik:

I would say its more likely the store than your bank. I would dispute the charge with them.

Military Moms

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)