• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I can't believe this is happening again! :(

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:50 PM
  • 13 Replies

My mom has been fighting cancer for 12 years.  Breast cancer that they thought they got then it moved to her uterus, she had a hysterectomy, then it moved to her abdomen and has been camping out there for the past 4 years or so now.  They have cut out everything that they can and she is on chemo for the rest of her life.  A couple months ago she started having bad back pains so they did a couple scans but they came back clean.  Last week she ended up in the ER with severe pains and they did a spinal tap.  It came back showing highly elevated protein levels (about 10 xs higher then normal) but no cancer cells.  Her oncologist wasn't satisfied so last Friday they did another spinal and an MRI last Thursday.  They are still waiting on the cancer cell results, but the protein level is even more elevated then it was a week ago, so they know something is going on.  She has already gotten one chemo treatment into her spine and she goes in tomorrow morning to get a port for chemo put into her head.  They know the ONLY chance is trying to kill this immediately, so they aren't even waiting for all the results.   I feel so bad for her and my dad.  They moved to Seattle from Connecticut last August because my dad got laid off and that was the first offer he got.  With my mom's background there is no way they can't have insurance, so he took the job and they moved.  Now she is across the country going through all this and I am 3000 miles away and my poor dad has no support system there.  My son and I already had a trip planned out there, we leave Wednsday for a week and my dad is adament that we still go because if things progress badly he wants to make sure we get another "good" week in.  I have never heard my dad speak negatively before, but cancer in the brain and nervous system is no joke.  My brother had brain cancer at 15, but luckily that one was easily removed and he has been fine since.  I am so scared.  I just always hoped that after her always fighting and having a positive attitude and doing everything right that she would beat it.  I still am hoping for that!  

Her last surgery was 4 years to the day of this wednsday (jan 27) which was 4 months to the day before my wedding.  Her surgeon told us that day that if she didn't respond to chemo she had 4 months to live.  We almost canceled the wedding, but we didn't and thankfully she was doing great the day of.   I'm sorry for the ramble, I'm so upset.  She just got the call from her doctor and called me.  I am just so happy I was already planning on going out there this week!  This is a picture of my mom and son around Christmas.  

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sneffy014
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:53 PM

So sorry to hear this is happening to your family. I am sending positive thoughts your way. Take care.

JandBsMom80
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:54 PM

I am so sorry for you and your family.  I will be praying for your mother and you.

ctfirsttimemom
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:55 PM

thanks! 

quoting sneffy014:

So sorry to hear this is happening to your family. I am sending positive thoughts your way. Take care.

ctfirsttimemom
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:55 PM

thank you.  I appreciate it.

Quoting JandBsMom80:

I am so sorry for you and your family.  I will be praying for your mother and you.

amber_1024
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:56 PM

I'm so sorry for what you and your family are dealing with...

*Hugs*

Sending postive thoughts and prayers your way!!!  

CallxMexMama
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:57 PM

Stay positive!! I'll keep your mom in my thoughts!!!

tamystoyparties
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:57 PM

I am so sorry to hear that, I hope things get better for you and your family. They say god never gives you more then you can handle, but I am not entirely sure just how much I believe that.......Good luck

De_Chick
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:00 PM

I'm sorry and will be sending positive thoughts! Enjoy your time with your mom and dad!

goingbanannas
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:00 PM

I know what your going through.My mom had to have her thyroid removed because she had cancer well tomorrow she is having a biopsy because they said the cancer spread to her lymph nodes.She also has a spot in her lungs and chest .My great grandmother died of breast,lung,and bone cancer.I hope all goes well for your mother.I will keep your family in my prayers.

ciejsgirl
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:04 PM

I'm so sorry.  I wish I had better words to say than that. =(  Just count your blessings and spend as much time with her as you can right now.  You never know, you may just get another 14 years too.  Doctors can be wrong.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)