Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

for those who have BOUGHT a house

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:54 PM
  • 72 Replies

was it clean when you moved in? did the people who had lived there clean it really good before they left or did you have cleaning to do when you moved in?

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
StudioM
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:57 PM

When I BOUGHT my houses they were a mess. The first one was just a mess, the second- total train wreck. They just moved out and left it TRASHED.

imthatgirl728
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:58 PM

I cleaned them all and painted myself. I know people who have put in there that they wanted them to clean as part of the agreement...but for me I always wanted to do it myself.

I always stayed where I was for a week before moving in so I could get it perfect.

Today I can say I am PROUD to be from Massachusetts!!

Hey Mr. President....Can. You. Hear. Us. NOW!!!!!

audriesmommy
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:59 PM

We BOUGHT a foreclosure that was not clean before we moved in.  We spent two full weeks cleaning from top to bottom.

spunky946
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:00 PM

I think it should be in your sales contract.   I think its supposed to be "broom clean" but it might depend on your state.  I know sometimes if a house is sold "as is" then it's just that.  A lot of bank owned properties I would expect to be a mess. 

LuvmySFSGT
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:00 PM

We put it in our offer that the home had to be clean. No...it wasn't. We threatened to cancel the purchase and they gave us $250.

Even if it is not requested I couldn't imagine not leaving it clean....

momtolucas2002
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:00 PM

When we purchased our home we had it written in the contract that the owners had to have the home professionally cleaned or pay us 600 so we could get it done.  The house was spotless when we moved in.  Our first house we had the same thing in the contract they cut us a check at closing we had the home cleaned then moved in. 

austinsmama1106
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:01 PM

I haven't bought one yet! But either way, I would clean it even if it was clean. I remember when my mom sold our last house, we cleaned the house top to bottom before we moved out, we were there until 2am. The house we moved into was pretty clean, the guy that sold it had not been living there for years. 

Predicted a boy!

Kalebs_Momma
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:02 PM

I bought a reposessed home.  It was filthy.  I spent 3 days cleaning it, but it's beautiful now and I love it.  At least the flooring was in perfect shape.  I did get carpet cleaners out though just to get the grime out of them. 

KalebsMomma.gif siggy picture by mstachyr

Do you live in Southern Nevada and want to meet mommy friends? Check us out!: http://www.cafemom.com/group/hendersonmommies

DaisyAg2003
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:02 PM

When we bought our home we had to replace all the carpet and linoleum, a toilet, and repaint everything.  We eventually had to put on a new roof too.  It was livable, but not up to my expectations.

I can't imaging leaving a house trashed when moving out.

southernjess3
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:03 PM

it was in great shape. spotless.

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)