Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So F'ing P***ed. Issues with school

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:13 PM
  • 15 Replies

Ugh!!!  So DHs school is trying to screw him over once again.  Keep in mind this is the third time they have pulled bullshit with us. When DH transferred they let him know that a couple of his upper level credits didn't transfer from the university he attended for freshman and sophomore years.  By the end of the year two credits, became ten. 
    The next semester, he went to apply for graduation, only to find out that those ten credits WERE important and that he would have to spend another year in school.  This is after his advisor told him he would be all set for graduation. This hit him so hard, and upset him so much that he had to drop out for a year.  Honestly it was a good thing because that's right around when I got pregnant, so his full time job came in VERY handy.
    Ok so this year he started back to school.  Four advisors ASSURED him that he will be set to go for Graduation this fall with the classes he planned to take.  Well we're in week two of school, he goes in to apply for graduation again.  Find out today that by some strange mistake, he needs one more credit than he's currently taking.  Imagine that!  THe office staff was so rude and sat there to his face and said "well it's not our fault that you weren't responsible enough to check your own hours."  UGH!   Stupid bitches.  You are told at orientation to check inw ith your advisor EVERY fucking semester to make sure your hours are fine.  They are the last word on classes.  He did the right thing and still got screwed. 
   Thankfully ONE person in there was nice and helped DH.  She got him into a last minute seat for the CLEP exam for Child and Adolescent psych. tomorrow.  He's taken adult, child, and adolescent psych courses so he's really confident that he will pass, even with this short notice.  But his graduation, our new van that we want, and his new job that he is hoping to start all depend on this fucking exam.  I'm so sick of this school, it is the THIRD time they have messed things up for him.  He actually cried today...I mean this really is stressing him out.  How can four professionals, assigned to help students screw up this badly this many times????  
    DH is going into admissions tomorrow and student affairs, and is going to let them know what he thinks.  This was the last freaking straw!  You can't imagine how much we need him to graduate...it is vital!

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katzmeow726
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Has anyone else had issues like this with universities or colleges? 

gulfcoastmom4
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Wow, what school is he attending.

futureshock
by Emerald Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:26 PM

I would be FURIOUS!!!!

De_Chick
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:30 PM

Same thing happened to me. I needed one more credit suddenly the month before graduation. I took a CPR class at the local hospital and brought in the certificate and they gave me my last credit. Funny thing is I somehow ended up with eighteen more credits than I needed when I graduated a month later.

ceemuhreeashbee
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:30 PM

I am SO sorry! Is there anyone he can complain to? The advisors aren't doing their jobs correctly if they aren't looking closely enough to catch things like this. I tried to go in to talk to an advisor at one of the local community colleges and the lady was an idiot. She couldn't answer any of my questions without checking the same book I was looking at online, and found out later she was giving me some false information. Overall, she had no idea what she was talking about.

a wedding website

I'm a breast/bottle feeding, co-sleeping the first year, kiss on the lips & tell her I love her every day kind of mom. I can let her CIO, but when she calls 'mommy' I'm on my feet and there in a heartbeat. I want my daughter to have many different experiences & to love everyone regardless of their's. I'm anti-abortion, for the right to bear arms, and completely against telling someone who they can and can't love.

teri4lance
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:33 PM
sadly your dh's issues are commonplace. it's ridiculous isn't it? I'm sorry that's happening, I hope everything turns out ok.

aleciamarie
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:35 PM

As a freshman going into college, I was told by my advisor that I should only take 12 credit hours the first 4 semesters, and then the last two years focus on my majors.  Imagine my surprise when I get to my 5th semester and I am told I am about 1.5-2 years behind because I had only taken 12 credit hours for the first 4 semesters.  I went one more year and then dropped out.  It sucked because I knew that I would not be graduating with all of my friends and I didn't want to be there by myself.  Looking back though, I wish I had stayed!

Lizzys_mommy13
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:37 PM

I hope everything turns out ok. What school is he attending so we all know not to go there?

Proud Mommy to Elizabeth!

hfs1998
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:42 PM

he needs to complain to the dean about the lousy job his advisors did.

katzmeow726
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:28 PM

He's going to the University of South Alabama.  And we are PISSED!  I am starting to wonder if they're bullshitting us.  He's not the only one who has had this done to him...and from what a poster said in here, it sounds like it may not be that far fetched.  BUt yeah, he's going to the dean tomorrow. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)