Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural baby chub is a lot different than getting fat from junk food!

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:16 PM
  • 35 Replies

My son is naturally skinny. He is a 3rd percentile baby, 17 months old and only 18-19 pounds.

His grandparents (DF's mom and stepdad) insist on feeding him junk food constantly so now he is gaining weight. I seem to be the only one that has a problem with this. They say "look he's finally getting chubby" I say no baby chub is different, you are making my kid fat by feeding him chips, cookies, candy, and all sorts of junk food.

I'm not trying to be mean and call my baby fat it's just that he isn't at the age where he should be getting chubby, most kids his age are slimming down.

My dad and grandma fed me junk when I was little and I really liked the food but I didn't like being an obese 9yr old, I don't want that to happen to my baby. I want him to be healthy and happy not fat and miserable.

BTW I would like to add that DF's mom is morbidly obese and has horrible eating habbits that she is now passing on to my child. That is not ok with me. Yes I am fat too but it's not because I eat a lot or unhealthy food, my body just hates me.

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
two4one
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:18 PM

You are right. He should be slimming own becuause he is more active at this age. I think baby chub generally starts to go away once they start walking.

Mom of twins

Peyton and Mackenzie~11/22/04

Do Not Breed or Buy Labels

gigglefiend121
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:20 PM

why are you letting them feed him that way? You are the mother you control what goes in his body, if you don't like how they feed don't let them do it.

OwensMama824
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:23 PM

They beg to take him for sleepovers. I have gotten to the point where I can't stand it anymore. I think I'll make a new rule - when I drop him off I'm bringing a box and taking all of the junk food that they buy FOR HIM and they can have it back when he comes home. If they can't agree then they won't have him over. I will send healthy snacks and that is what he WILL eat, if I find out anything that I don't aprove of they will be on babysitting probation.

Quoting gigglefiend121:

why are you letting them feed him that way? You are the mother you control what goes in his body, if you don't like how they feed don't let them do it.

mommyheartsKS
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:24 PM

you're right...there's a big difference between a naturally chubby baby vs a baby being fed junk.  At 17 months, that's a bit early to start a junk food habit.  You should talk to them about what they're feeding your child.

graciejoe
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:27 PM

No person who would feed my kid that way would be around them without me present.  There's no reason for a 17 month old to be eating any of those foods regularly.  Nobody should be eating that stuff regularly.  I have terrible eating habits though and am very particular about what my kids eat.  I don't want them having the same kind of "relationship" with food that I do.

OwensMama824
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:28 PM

I have. They think "oh she'll never know" But they are dumb and slip up when I'm around, like giving him a bowl of cheetos then I'm like WTF? And they say "oh yeah I forgot mommy was here"

Quoting mommyheartsKS:

you're right...there's a big difference between a naturally chubby baby vs a baby being fed junk.  At 17 months, that's a bit early to start a junk food habit.  You should talk to them about what they're feeding your child.

OwensMama824
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:32 PM

what?

Quoting graciejoe:

abby
lucious

mommyheartsKS
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:32 PM

That's so rude of them.  I would be so pissed if anyone did that with my kids.  I'm sorry you have to go through this mama....I would just not let them watch your son for a while.  Maybe when they start to miss having him around, then they'll realize that they need to watch your son the way you want....not the way they want to.

graciejoe
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:33 PM

asia
lucious

april

sids ribbon

marynash88
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:34 PM

I feel you. My DD is 19 months and just hit the 20 lb mark. Everyone always talks about how skinny she is and she should weigh more than that (and all those that say that are obese themselves). Your doing the right thing :)

Quoting OwensMama824:

My son is naturally skinny. He is a 3rd percentile baby, 17 months old and only 18-19 pounds.

His grandparents (DF's mom and stepdad) insist on feeding him junk food constantly so now he is gaining weight. I seem to be the only one that has a problem with this. They say "look he's finally getting chubby" I say no baby chub is different, you are making my kid fat by feeding him chips, cookies, candy, and all sorts of junk food.

I'm not trying to be mean and call my baby fat it's just that he isn't at the age where he should be getting chubby, most kids his age are slimming down.

My dad and grandma fed me junk when I was little and I really liked the food but I didn't like being an obese 9yr old, I don't want that to happen to my baby. I want him to be healthy and happy not fat and miserable.

BTW I would like to add that DF's mom is morbidly obese and has horrible eating habbits that she is now passing on to my child. That is not ok with me. Yes I am fat too but it's not because I eat a lot or unhealthy food, my body just hates me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)