Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding benefits...

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:40 PM
  • 27 Replies

What are some of the benefits of breastfeeding?

I plan on breastfeeding my son btw.

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
misssy2000
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:43 PM

immunity, easier for mom(no water needed) easier on babies tummy, much better smelling diapers(until you start solids), natural, never been recalled. Happier babies, free that's all I can think of right now.

hautemama83
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:44 PM
zjonzie
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:45 PM

there are so many but one i want to stress is nutrition.  i will stick to facts so that the formula moms dont feel offended ;)  

here i copied this:                                                                                                                                       Breast milk has disease-fighting cells called antibodies that help protect infants from germs, illness, and even SIDS. Infant formula cannot match the exact chemical makeup of human milk, especially the cells, hormones, and antibodies that fight disease

Breastfeeding is linked to a lower risk of these health problems:
In Infants: In Moms:
  • Breast milk is different from infant formula. Colostrum, the thick yellow first breast milk that you make during pregnancy and just after birth, will give your baby the best start at life. It is known as "liquid gold." It is very rich in nutrients and antibodies to protect your baby as he or she first enters the world. Although your baby only gets a small amount of colostrum at each feeding, it matches the amount his or her tiny stomach can hold. A newborn stomach is only the size of a large marble at first!

• Your milk changes over time to meet your baby's needs. Your breast milk that begins to be made by the third to fifth day after birth has just the right amount of fat, sugar, water, and protein that is needed for a baby's growth. It will be a thinner type of milk, but just as full of all of the nutrients and antibodies for your baby.

• For most babies, breast milk is easier to digest than formula. It takes time for their stomachs to adjust to digesting the proteins in formula because they are made from cow's milk.

• Premature babies do better when breastfed compared to premature babies who are fed formula.

Additional Resources
For more information on infant formula safety issues, visit the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
  • When you breastfeed, there are no bottles and nipples to sterilize. Unlike human milk straight from the breast, infant formula has a chance of being contaminated.

• Breastfeeding makes your life easier. You do not have to purchase, measure, and mix formula. There are no bottles to warm in the middle of the night!

• Breastfeeding can save you between $1,160 and $3,915 per year, depending on the brand of formula.

• A mother can satisfy her baby's hunger right away with breastfeeding.

• Breastfeeding requires a mother to take some quiet relaxed time for herself and her baby, helping them bond. Physical contact is important to newborns and can help them feel more secure, warm, and comforted. Breastfeeding mothers may have increased self-confidence and feelings of closeness and bonding with their infants.

• Breastfeeding during an emergency can save lives.

tickled_pink09
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:50 PM

Quoting zjonzie:

there are so many but one i want to stress is nutrition.  i will stick to facts so that the formula moms dont feel offended ;)  

here i copied this:                                                                                                                                       Breast milk has disease-fighting cells called antibodies that help protect infants from germs, illness, and even SIDS. Infant formula cannot match the exact chemical makeup of human milk, especially the cells, hormones, and antibodies that fight disease

• Breast milk is different from infant formula. Colostrum, the thick yellow first breast milk that you make during pregnancy and just after birth, will give your baby the best start at life. It is known as "liquid gold." It is very rich in nutrients and antibodies to protect your baby as he or she first enters the world. Although your baby only gets a small amount of colostrum at each feeding, it matches the amount his or her tiny stomach can hold. A newborn stomach is only the size of a large marble at first!

• Your milk changes over time to meet your baby's needs. Your breast milk that begins to be made by the third to fifth day after birth has just the right amount of fat, sugar, water, and protein that is needed for a baby's growth. It will be a thinner type of milk, but just as full of all of the nutrients and antibodies for your baby.

• For most babies, breast milk is easier to digest than formula. It takes time for their stomachs to adjust to digesting the proteins in formula because they are made from cow's milk.

• Premature babies do better when breastfed compared to premature babies who are fed formula.

Additional Resources
For more information on infant formula safety issues, visit the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
  • When you breastfeed, there are no bottles and nipples to sterilize. Unlike human milk straight from the breast, infant formula has a chance of being contaminated.

• Breastfeeding makes your life easier. You do not have to purchase, measure, and mix formula. There are no bottles to warm in the middle of the night!

• Breastfeeding can save you between $1,160 and $3,915 per year, depending on the brand of formula.

• A mother can satisfy her baby's hunger right away with breastfeeding.

• Breastfeeding requires a mother to take some quiet relaxed time for herself and her baby, helping them bond. Physical contact is important to newborns and can help them feel more secure, warm, and comforted. Breastfeeding mothers may have increased self-confidence and feelings of closeness and bonding with their infants.

• Breastfeeding during an emergency can save lives.

Wow--thanks I am going to need to print this one out :)

tickled_pink09
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:51 PM

Quoting hautemama83:

http://www.promom.org/101/

awesome link...even more beneficial than I had thought!

tickled_pink09
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:52 PM

Quoting misssy2000:

immunity, easier for mom(no water needed) easier on babies tummy, much better smelling diapers(until you start solids), natural, never been recalled. Happier babies, free that's all I can think of right now.

I like the much better smelling diapers :)

Never been recalled...oh so true :)

Susan0805
by ~♥~Susan~♥~ on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:54 PM

Reduces the risk of ear infections (well infections period really)

Breatmilk contains antibodies... formula does not

breastmilk tailors to fit YOUR baby... formula does not

Breast: its always available and is free

its easier to rest while nursing then it is to rest while bottle feeding (you should hold a bottle fed baby upright will feeding, but you do not have to do this for breastfed babies)

Formula can be bad for babies mouth/teeth. Babies mouth must fit a bottle nipple, whereas a breast molds to babies mouth.

There are about 100 extra ingredients in human breastmilk that is not found in formula

There are many many more but I'm to tired to think of them all

______________________________________________________________________________________

My Life:

tickled_pink09
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:03 PM

Quoting Susan0805:

Reduces the risk of ear infections (well infections period really)

Breatmilk contains antibodies... formula does not

breastmilk tailors to fit YOUR baby... formula does not

Breast: its always available and is free

its easier to rest while nursing then it is to rest while bottle feeding (you should hold a bottle fed baby upright will feeding, but you do not have to do this for breastfed babies)

Formula can be bad for babies mouth/teeth. Babies mouth must fit a bottle nipple, whereas a breast molds to babies mouth.

There are about 100 extra ingredients in human breastmilk that is not found in formula

There are many many more but I'm to tired to think of them all

Thanks a bunch!

100 extra ingrdients--that is a huge deal.

breastmilk tailors to fit YOUR baby... formula does not.

tickled_pink09
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:05 PM

Thanks so much mommas

I wanted to get info without drama especially since I am not bashing anyone. It is nice to get info without causing problems...

QueenFelicia
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:05 PM

I am EBF my son and I joined the Breastfeeding Moms group on here and it has been very, very helpful. Not only can they point you to some good info, but it is nice to have support of other BF moms. It was harder than I thought it would be, but so worth it!!! I saw you are a member of a Natural Childbirth group as well. That is the route I went in November - midwife at a birthing center -  Noah was at the breast immediately. Good luck and congrats!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)