Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need some dog advice.

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:19 PM
  • 11 Replies

Hopefully someone on here can help me.. because i'm really not sure what to do.. My dogs dont listen to me at all when they're outside.. I want them to know that i'm the boss.  When i call them and tell them to come inside they pretend they dont hear me.. I'll look out the window and they'll just be standing there barking at something but when i call them and they see me then they pretend to sniff around and walk around and act like they're doing something.  I know that dogs are just dogs and they just bark or whatever else.  THEY run the house though.  NOT ME.  I can have someone else go outside and call them and they'll listen.  Why not me?  How do i get them to listen to me?

Ok.. So i'm going to edit it..   Would you think i should get some dog treats and every time they listen to me and come in from outside that i should give them one to show them its a good thing they came in?  I mean why would a dog want to come into a house with a screaming mom yelling at them to tell them to come in?  Lol!

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ilovemyson2002
by mom of 2 boys on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:21 PM

heres a bump i really dont know

cmb121906
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:21 PM

LMAO!! Sounds just like kids. IDK, maybe look into some training classes or something.

This is what your admission looks like behind closed doors!

A lifetime of abuse and lockdown

Click for more info!

two4one
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:22 PM

You've got to take on the role of alpha.

You eat before they do. EWat your dinner and then feed them.

Do not allow them on furniture. Only the alph gets the cushy seats.

When taking them outside, you exit first. Put them in a sit and let them go out after you.

If playing tug of war (I don't recommend this game in general) you should always be the winner. You need to teach them to "give" command.

Good luck!

Mom of twins

Peyton and Mackenzie~11/22/04

Do Not Breed or Buy Labels

zjonzie
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:23 PM

cattle prod? lol i dont know that is why i dont want a dog, i have a 2 yr old that doesnt listen want  to me haha

DayDreamer806
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:29 PM

I always eat before them, trust me.  Lol!  They arent allowed to be on any furniture through out the house at all except for my bed when they sleep.  I'm really not sure how to honestly get them to sit and let me go outside first.  When i lead them outside they RUN through the door like they're about to attack something..  It's crazy. 

Quoting two4one:

When taking them outside, you exit first. Put them in a sit and let them go out after you.

If playing tug of war (I don't recommend this game in general) you should always be the winner. You need to teach them to "give" command.

Good luck!

DayDreamer806
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:31 PM

Lol! Doesnt it?  My daughter wont listen to me but i swear if a stranger or any other person other than me tells her to do the same thing *I* just told her to do then she'll do it for them.  Not me. Same with my dogs.  Arrrrg!

Quoting cmb121906:

LMAO!! Sounds just like kids. IDK, maybe look into some training classes or something.

katishome
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:33 PM

Quoting two4one:

Good luck!

If you don't show then right off the get go that you are in charge you never will be. I have two dog's that won't listen to anyone but me now, when I tell one to do something they both do it. If you can't get them to come in, shut the door and leave them outside, come back about 15 min. later then try again. They will get the hint fast if it's around feeding time, when they do what you tell them make sure you tell them "good boy/girl" kinda like potty training a kid ya know ?? Just assert yourself !!

Hugs

AMarineLovesMe
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:40 PM

I had a problem with mine bolting through the door to go out, what I did was this... I would crack the door open just a little, and stand between the opening and the dogs, I wouldn't open it anymore until they sat down.  Once they sat, I would open it a little more, if they tried to push past me I would use my leg to knock them back and kept doing that until they sat.  Then opened the door a little more and just kept going on and on.  If you don't have a screen door to help with the training for the main door then use leashes, so if they do get past you, you can yank them back in.  Now when I go to the door, they will run to it, but as soon as I look at them they all sit or lay down and wait until I say they can go.  My husband never did this with them so they still try to bolt when he opens it lol. 

pregnancy calendar

baby

CariO.
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:45 PM

Dogs are too much work.  No thanks.  Can't do it.  Too much loud barking, too messy, can't do it. 

DayDreamer806
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:55 PM

Well i have to disagree.  Lol.  My daughter is more work than three of my dogs are! 

Quoting CariO.:

Dogs are too much work.  No thanks.  Can't do it.  Too much loud barking, too messy, can't do it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)