• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My baby has an intolerance to dairy. Help me keep BF'ing!

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:31 PM
  • 10 Replies

Just found out my poor sweet LO rash is not dreft, not detergent, not soap but an intolerance to the dairy that I have been eating so in order to keep BF'ing I have to cut out ALL dairy, I am absolutely willing but I need a mama who has done it or knows all about it to give me good tips or a good website that will help me makie sure I am getting all the dairy out of my diet. She is currently being fortified to help her gain weight and she was being fortified with enfamil but now they are going to have us fortify with Nutramigen and I think she will be on that for the next month while I detox my milk. O ya and I can kiss that month's worth of milk I have in the deep freezer goodbye! Please ladies, help me!

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pearlmom
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:33 PM

bump

CountryGirl0809
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Keep BF       I didnt' BF  and my daughter was HIGHLY allergic to the cow protein in formula.   Including Nutramigen.    she almost died from it when she was 8 wks old.    she was bleeding internally b/c it was eating the lining of her intestines.   We tried it all  even the Nutramigen like I said and finally after I switched doctors(which Thank God I did b/c she wouldnt' have lived)   they put her on Elecare.  It is only Amino Acids.   and Very  very expensive!!!     Here where I lived it was $50 a can.  that sometimes  lasted  almost 3 days.  that was while she was just a baby.  when she started eating more then never more than 2 days.  and insurance DID NOT cover it!!!   By the grace of God we were able to afford it.     So   just keep BF.   hopefully she'll grow out of it.  My daughter did.  

mrsjones2207
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:37 PM

Sorry momma...but you can do it...bump 

Mylesbaby boyMykailahbaby girlMykahbaby boy

Distributor of Young Living Essential Oils and Supplements

sukainah
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:45 PM

I'm probably not going to help you out much, but when my son was about 3 or 4 months old, we found out about the same and I was only breastfeeding.  The pediatrition gave me a list of things that I could and could not eat.  I don't have it anymore, sorry, but you can ask your baby's pediatrition and see if they have anything. 

My son is not 15 months old and eating EVERYTHING LOL...and still breastfeeding...so hopefully she will grow out of it...I think he was having no problem about the time he was 6 or 7 months old...I just cut out all dairy...looked at ingredients in everything...even bread and drank rice milk, which is awesome..

keep breastfeeding...I was bummed...I love cheese..but am back to eating that and yogurt and everything and he eats cheese and yogurt and is fine...

Hope I helped some

tashamyork
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:48 PM

I am in process of making a website right now, you can go to it and see what I have done. My son had SEVERE milk protein allergy. And now my DD has milk and wheat protein allergy! Check it out, I have recipes and alittle info, I am adding more as much as I can! It is so doable!

http://breastfeedingallergies.blogspot.com/

tashamyork
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:49 PM
tashamyork
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:51 PM

watch out for caramel color, it is in everything, even coke, it is made from milk! google hidden milk and it will give u the list of what to watch out for :)

3earthangels
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:53 PM

I would look at the ingredient list on foods. I just wanted to say things like spinach and other dark green leafy veggies have awesome amounts of calcium in it. And you can get your & your baby's daily dose of Vit D by sitting beside a sunny window (or being outside) for at least 15 minutes a day. Good luck!!

tashamyork
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:53 PM

sorry one more thing, u dont have to sub formula, after  4 days of cutting everything out things will get alot better, not totally but alot, my understanding from allergist is it is better to keep bfing.

SkroveMomma
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:33 PM

Quoting tashamyork:

sorry one more thing, u dont have to sub formula, after  4 days of cutting everything out things will get alot better, not totally but alot, my understanding from allergist is it is better to keep bfing.

well we are kinda up a creek right now because on Saturday I got diagnosed with kidney stones and the meds they have me on I can't give her my current milk, and I don't want to give her the frozen milk that is doing the same thing b/c she is clearly in pain from her rash so for now she is going to get nutramigen exclusively, even if it's just unti I get off these kidney stone meds

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)