Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

so hard not to say "You're a bad mom"

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:00 PM
  • 45 Replies

my "friend", the same one who would repetitively dip her finger in whiskey and let her 5 month old suck on it "to help ease the teething pain" (she would not rub it on his gums, he didn't like that), is now introducing her baby to grown-up food.  not solids, she started those months ago.  nope, she's giving her 8 month old cheetos, cookies, and anything else that he likes so he will stay quiet for a little longer.  and there's so much more..and a lot of it worries me.  like the fact that she lets him crawl around the house while she watches soaps...and her house isn't child-proofed yet.

i know its not my place to judge...but jeez.

*edit*

if you've read my replies, you know that i have agreed that what i wrote seems like an overreaction to many normal parenting styles.  i'm too tired to explain what i'm really intending to say, other than vent my frustrations of not wanting to step in and tell her my opinion (and yes, there is much more to this story).  no, i wouldn't call cps unless life was in danger..which it no longer is.  so i apologize for getting your panties in a twist, but hey, we've all had those days..lol.

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Little_bug
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:07 PM

the whisky is not a bad thing unless she would do it over and over in the matter of a few min.  Just because it's not rubbed on the gums does not mean a little drop does not ease the pain.  THe fact that she started her kid on solids @ 5 months well, that's just stupid, babies need to be eased into these things to make sure they do not have an allergy.  To begiving him all that junk she is asking for trouble.  I gave my daughter biter biscuits and BABY cookies and maybe a cheese PUFF here and there(they disolved before she had the change to choke on them).  My house never was baby proofed, we didn't have a need for it as our daughter just didn't get into things that weren't hers and if she happened to do something it took one good firm no and a little popon the hand and she never touched again, that was RARE though.  oh sure we put the light socket things in for good measure and had a baby gate so she wouldn't go in the bathroom when she was learning to crawl and walk, but once she could walk well the gate came down.

Your friend doesn't sound like the brightest crayon in the box, but, what can you do?

Adamsmommy1608
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:07 PM

I know how you feel, DH best friends wife will end up being just like that. Like her dogs pee EVERYWHERE, she's pregnant and their house always smells like pee, she only cleans if there are people coming over, not us but people she doesnt know. I don't think having the baby is gonna change her at all. She actually tried to say that when the baby is teething that she was gonna do the wiskey thing, and it's okay for her to drink Jack Daniels after the baby is born, ummm she wants to nurse, it's so weird.

Momof2MixdBoyz
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:10 PM

than I guess I'm a "Bad Mom" also! My kids were eating things like french fries and other things that dissolved fast  as soon as they were able to sit up on their own and had teeth (they both had 4 teeth by 6-7 months) I also NEVER "baby proofed anything except under my kitchen sink....

Everyone has different parenting skills.... just because psychologists say it's wrong... doesn't mean it really is!!!

unclemomma
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:12 PM

my daughters...didnt have any and i mean any baby food they moved to table foods right away...neither would eat the goop and their pedi said it was fine

lovemymarine306
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:13 PM

yes, everyone does have different parenting skills.  but with this particular woman, its a combined lack of any true parenting skill thats jaw-dropping.  i'm just hoping it doesn't get to the point where i have to call CPS. 

Quoting Momof2MixdBoyz:

than I guess I'm a "Bad Mom" also! My kids were eating things like french fries and other things that dissolved fast  as soon as they were able to sit up on their own and had teeth (they both had 4 teeth by 6-7 months) I also NEVER "baby proofed anything except under my kitchen sink....

Everyone has different parenting skills.... just because psychologists say it's wrong... doesn't mean it really is!!!

starlight1611
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:14 PM

Wow what an abusive mother!!

eye rolling

in loveboy n girlpuppycat

*Military Wife to my HS sweetheart and SAHM to our 2 most amazingĀ children DS(4.5) & DD (3)* & our 2 furbabies Brody(Puggle) & Sophie(Cat)

QuickMomma
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:14 PM

To each their own!

Both of my kids started eating food we eat at 9 months maybe a little older but not much older.I think its fine as long as they have teeth,know how to chew and don't choke on whatever is given to them.I don't think they should be having alot of junk at that age though.

inmybizz
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:16 PM

The term bad mom gets thrown around so much...She doing her own thing..

Just_Bethy
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:17 PM

Quoting lovemymarine306:

yes, everyone does have different parenting skills.  but with this particular woman, its a combined lack of any true parenting skill thats jaw-dropping.  i'm just hoping it doesn't get to the point where i have to call CPS

Quoting Momof2MixdBoyz:

Calling  CPS because the baby crawls around while she watches TV and feeds grown up food at 8 months?? I really hope there is more to this...Is she...leaving the child alone??  Beating the child??? other abuse????

Drillers Wife, Toughest Job In The Oil Field.

wife.and.mommy
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:18 PM

i guess i am a BAD mom also.. my DS was eating table food by 6 months and was off of baby food completely by then.

and to the poster who said she was STUPID.. WHO THE HELL ARE YOU.. MOTHER OF THE YEAR.... to call another MOTHER, someone you DONT even know STUPID...

that is just plain disrespect, just bc someone does PARENT like you do, does NOT make them STUPID...

maybe you are the STUPID ONE

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)