Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you give??

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:41 PM
  • 11 Replies

I don't know if this is a rude question..but here I go.  WHat do you put in the collection envelope at church?  I have just started attending church and I am not sure what to put in.  There is no way I can put in what they suggest for our annual salary.  If you don't mind helping me with what you feel is ok to put in. 

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KT9105
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:43 PM

We don't belong to a church, and don't feel obligated to donate to the ones we're trying out.  Religion shouldn't break the bank.

CafeMom Tickers
TinaN64
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:43 PM

It varies...  We try to put in 20 bucks or thereabouts.  Not 10%, that's what most churches want.  But, you have to take care of your home and family first...That church sure isn't going to.

And if I don't have it to give, I don't feel bad about letting the collection basket go right by me.  Put what you can afford, and don't feel bad about it.

jillbailey26
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:44 PM

Typically, if you're able to afford it, it's 10% of your income.  So if you get $100 a week, you would give $10 a week, etc.  If you can't afford the full 10%, just give what you can, as long as you feel compelled to.  God just asks that you give with a full heart and not reluctantly.

3earthangels
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:46 PM

I typically don't put anything in the collection plate. My thought is God doesn't need money, He wants us to care for one another. So I volunteer and donate at a local shelter and volunteer my time at Catholic Charities helping people fill out their immigration forms. My Church is very much aware of how I feel and are ok with it :)

Shaynas_Mommy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:54 PM

DH just started going to the same church as his best friend and I went with him this past Sunday, and we put $5 in there. I was always taught to give what you can. If you are truly giving your all then that is all that matters, whether it's 20 cents or $200.00. 

mama310583
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:54 PM

this

Quoting jillbailey26:

Typically, if you're able to afford it, it's 10% of your income.  So if you get $100 a week, you would give $10 a week, etc.  If you can't afford the full 10%, just give what you can, as long as you feel compelled to.  God just asks that you give with a full heart and not reluctantly.

toybar02
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:01 PM

When I attend church I usually give between $10-$20, i give basically what I can afford and at the church I go to they ask for way to much

mhmomma
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:40 PM

Thanks Ladies.  I feel a little better.  I have heard that the church I attend is pretty good when it comes to collection envelopes.  They say if you have nothing then just give an empty envelope.  They do have suggestions but there is no way I can give 10% of what hubby makes.

My MIL's old church had yearly dues plus weekly collections.  There were no, ifs and or buts.  My MIL paid all these dues but when the church would not baptize my daughter because we were not members she said forget it.  She has not been to that church since.

katzero
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:56 PM

Typically, 10% of your income. I've always been taught to give generously when we can afford it, and don't stress about it when we can't. We go to 2 services a week, so we typically give $10 on Sunday, and $10 on Wednesday. According to the tithe calculator, it's not really even close to what we should be giving. =l

http://www.nacba.net/tithe.htm

Elijahsmommy9
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:59 PM

We give anything we can afford that week. It's never been more than $20. They dont keep track at all of who gives what there, and they dont even expect it so that's nice.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)