Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

smoking???

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:48 PM
  • 13 Replies

i have been smoking  since i was was 12 i have been smoking for 16 years. and now i want to quit. it is going to be hard. does anyone have any strategiesi could try to help me stop smoking. i have quit cold turkey 2 times and it didn't last and my family couldn't stand to be around me. i need help. My mom husband has cancer lung cancer. I can feel how the cigs are affecting my health how they affect my lungs. i added i spend around $2016 a year on cig and that is only if i smoke a pack a day. i need help and strategies. i know plenty of ladies on her have quit smoking can anyone give me and strategies.

Thanks

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TinaN64
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:52 PM

I can't help you.   I've never smoked but I'll bump this up in the hope that someone will be able to help.

Good luck, Hon!  I know it's a hard habit, addiction, to kick.

KT9105
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:55 PM

I smoked, but I was never addicted so I can't be of much help.  I get bored with it, quit, pick it back up, get bored with it, etc.

I've heard the hypnosis tapes you listen to when you sleep are good though.

CafeMom Tickers
ss1436
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:55 PM

I have heard that it is easier to quit if you take it one habit at a time. Like for example if you smoke after meals then start there. Smoke like regular, except don't smoke after meals. Once you have mastered that, then move on to another trigger time like when you talk on the phone, things like that. I have also heard that there is such thing as smokers anonymous where you could get help. Good luck:)

http://www.cafemom.com/group/109030

isra1986
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:58 PM

DH smokes Marlboro Lights and there was a pamphlet inside the wrapper with a 1-800 number, I will post it when he gets home.
He called them yesterday and they offered him patches or gum, he said he has tried those and failes so they are sending him a prescription and they have a 24 hour support line also!

LanasMommy0504
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:00 PM

DH is in the Navy & is a certified instructor for Smoking Cessation to help all Active Duty members & anyone who wants to quit. He gives out the patch & gum & that's helped most people. They also give Chantix to people who want it but it made DH crazy so I wouldn't recommend it. DH & I both quit cold turkey a year & 1/2 ago for our kids. Good luck! You can do it!

momwith2monkeys
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:12 PM
Quoting ss1436:

I have heard that it is easier to quit if you take it one habit at a time. Like for example if you smoke after meals then start there. Smoke like regular, except don't smoke after meals. Once you have mastered that, then move on to another trigger time like when you talk on the phone, things like that. I have also heard that there is such thing as smokers anonymous where you could get help. Good luck:)

i talk on the phone a lot and i always smoke more when i am on the phone and that has to be one habit i am going to have to stop. i don't smoke in my car because of my kids but i do take my cigs with me so i think i am going to start leaving them at the house. i think iam going to try keeping them at the house first.

the hard thing will be my brother is moving down here and he smoke and smoking is like a social thing and a bonding thing so it is going to be extremely hard

mferruz
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:18 PM

My mothers doctor told her to take a cigarette out of her pack every day when she first opens it for a few days.  Then take two, after a few more days take out three etc....until you aren't smoking at all.  Either throw them out or save them for when you accumulate enough to smoke the amount you are down to...if that makes sense.  I don't know if it makes a difference but at my Mom's age (75)  they aren't trying to get her to quit just to cut her habit in half at least. 

Dull women have clean houses.

Oceana09
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:20 PM

Have you looked into the E-cig yet? If not you might. It's supposed to save smokers up to $1000 a year and it doesn't have tobacco in it. What it is is a cigarrette in which the filter is a nicotine cartridge in which you can buy in different flavors. Each cartiage = two packs of cigarrettes. The part of the cigarrette that would normally hold tobacco is your battery, and the "Cherry" is actually an indicator beam that lights up every time you take a "Drag" so that you are sure that it's working. When you exhale you are only exhaling water vapors, so it is no longer harmful to yourself or anyone around you. the start up kit is the most expensive, but after that you only need buy the cartridges that come in a pack of 5 for like $13.00 and up depending on what state you live in. My mom was a smoker for 25 years and started this a couple of weeks ago. She's feeling way healthier than she was before and she's only gone through one pack of cartridges.  '

You can also buy cartridges with high doses of nicotine, medium doses of nicotine, light doses of nicotine or no nicotine at all. It's up to you. I can't wait till we get our taxes back because this is what I'm going to do. There's a video on Youtube about how it works if you like, i can find it for you.

Oceana09
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:31 PM

I know it sounds a lot like a commercial (mainly because I think it is) but it tells you all about how to use it.

momwith2monkeys
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:50 PM
Quoting Oceana09:

I know it sounds a lot like a commercial (mainly because I think it is) but it tells you all about how to use it.

i think i might look into it too. i just looked it up and really it doesnt' cost anymore than a carton or cigs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)