Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help me with this dog situation (updated - again)

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:53 PM
  • 39 Replies

Update on the end of page 2 =(  

Last Update on page 4 =(

2 dogs came into my garage today, there is the momma and the other one is her  baby. Both had crud all over their eyes, and the female looks like she is still nursing and clearly is malnurished, injured, and possibly abused. My husband and I walked around the neighborhood for a good half hour and we didnt see a sign, or open gate door, not even possible owners or people that recognized them. So we took both to the pet clinic to get scanned for chips and nothing, the momma dog ran into the vets office and she saw her since and did a quick exam since she wasnt busy, the Vet said she was clearly  being used for breeding and that the puppy was not from her 1st litter, she said she was about a year old she showed me how small her teeth were. She asked me if I was going to keep them if we couldnt find owners I told her we probably would - she said good maybe its better you don't find the owners she said dogs like that were just used for breeding non-stop and usually have miserable lives. The female had no traces of a collar so when I put one on her to leash her she freaked out like she had never been on a leash before. They are both pretty docile but are kind of skiddish when you pet them.

We've had these 2 dogs for about 6 hours now. We've fed, walked, and washed both of them.  If I do have to keep these dogs how can I make them officially mine (I don't really want to give them back after what the vet said), I dont want some random person to knock on my door a month from now claiming the dogs.

I don't know what else to do or where to go, any suggestions?

UPDATE: I found out from a very reliable source that our county law states if the dog is in your posession it is yours. So I'm giving these guys a total of 48 hrs, 40 more and they are all mine! If the owners don't think thats fair they can kiss it! I posted on craigslist. If they don't get picked up I will be registering & licensing both of them for me to keep. I'm excited about keeping them, and them I'm worried that I wont because the owners may show up.

I took a pic of them here they are. Dont think thats my crappy fence, that is my BIL's. I took them over there after teh vet I wanted his opinion on how bad the momma dog looked.

vanessa_pin16.png picture by supervane2004

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cmb121906
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:55 PM

Just be like no, they are mine. I've had them forever LOL

This is what your admission looks like behind closed doors!

A lifetime of abuse and lockdown

Click for more info!

Supervane
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:57 PM

LoL Thats what I am tempted to do, but DH said it wasnt right - there he goes with his principals! I even considered hiding the dogs at my BIL's and then I can magically say I adopted dogs... but again I know thats not the proper way to do things.

Quoting cmb121906:

Just be like no, they are mine. I've had them forever LOL

Supervane
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:58 PM

I have to add that I don't know what to do because I've never really adopted a pet, and havent had a dog since I was a little girl not to mention then they were just given to me.

kameronsmommy08
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:03 PM

I am glad you going to keep them. I hate people who miss treat animals. Call the spca or the vet and ask to make them yours. I doubt someone will come look for them if they are only used for breeding. 

witcheymommy
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:08 PM

One of my friends found a dog running around town, and he saved it from being hit by a car, and took it to the humane society to see if it had a chip. They checked the lost dog files, and told him that he had to post an add in the paper, and if no one clamied her after a week, he could keep her. Then again, they also checked her and said she was 3 years old, and spayed, and 3 weeks later she had puppys, so who knows. Good luck though

Supervane
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Thank you.  I will try the SPCA. I'm hoping no one comes looking for them.

Quoting kameronsmommy08:

I am glad you going to keep them. I hate people who miss treat animals. Call the spca or the vet and ask to make them yours. I doubt someone will come look for them if they are only used for breeding. 

Supervane
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:10 PM

Ok thanx, this helps... I guess a week seems fair I was being greedy and thinking 3 days.

Quoting witcheymommy:

One of my friends found a dog running around town, and he saved it from being hit by a car, and took it to the humane society to see if it had a chip. They checked the lost dog files, and told him that he had to post an add in the paper, and if no one clamied her after a week, he could keep her. Then again, they also checked her and said she was 3 years old, and spayed, and 3 weeks later she had puppys, so who knows. Good luck though

4boysandadog
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:10 PM

Finders keepers.... If you don't see any signs posted or have anyone looking, they are yours. A good place to check is Craigslist.com, they have a pet section along with a lost and found section. IF someone does show up asking about the dogs, ask for positive identification that they are their dogs, the "real" owners should have vet records along with rabies vaccinations which is state law in all states. If that dog is a breeder the owners will come looking for it because that is money now gone, if you don't feel comfortable giving those animals back to them and they can't provide records you don't have to give them up, in the eyes of the law, dogs are property and finders keepers applies. Call your local Human Society and talk to them about the dogs, they will know the best way to handle this situation. And if someone does show up, I'd find out how to make an animal abuse report on them, if nothing else to have the sitatuion checked out, that is no way for an animal to live....Good Luck, use warm wet wash clothes to clear their eyes and Dawn orginal dish soap is a great flea bath.

Supervane
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:51 PM

Thank you for the tips. I messaged a lady in my local mom's group who works with rescue animals, she said the law in our county basically is FINDERS KEEPERS! She said if the dog is in my posession they are technically mine. I checked craigslist and made a posting listing 2 dogs, I am asking for a detailed description and photographs before I release them. I also posted that if they are not claimed within 48 hrs of my finding they I will be registering & licensing them. So let the countdown begin! 40 more hours to go and these guys are mine! Then I can go shopping for doggy supplies! I'll be a doggy mommy again! I havent owned a dog in ages! My last childhood dog died when I was 19 so I really hope I get to keep these guys. They are so darn cute - oh and did I mention they are Boxers. Anyone know anything about this breed? I for sure don't! .

Quoting 4boysandadog:

Finders keepers.... If you don't see any signs posted or have anyone looking, they are yours. A good place to check is Craigslist.com, they have a pet section along with a lost and found section. IF someone does show up asking about the dogs, ask for positive identification that they are their dogs, the "real" owners should have vet records along with rabies vaccinations which is state law in all states. If that dog is a breeder the owners will come looking for it because that is money now gone, if you don't feel comfortable giving those animals back to them and they can't provide records you don't have to give them up, in the eyes of the law, dogs are property and finders keepers applies. Call your local Human Society and talk to them about the dogs, they will know the best way to handle this situation. And if someone does show up, I'd find out how to make an animal abuse report on them, if nothing else to have the sitatuion checked out, that is no way for an animal to live....Good Luck, use warm wet wash clothes to clear their eyes and Dawn orginal dish soap is a great flea bath.

Elijahsmommy9
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:54 PM

The SPCA would know the answer to this but I'm sure there is a law about the amount of time a person has to claim their dog's back. I know legally in many states, pets are considered "property" and there are laws about if you leave your property somewhere too long, its considered abandoned and they lose all rights to it. So, it might be like 30 days or something and then legally the dogs are yours. To make it official, get them chipped in your name and get city licenses for them in your name. Then all paperwork and IDs will list you as the owner. Good luck with your 2 news additions!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)