• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does This Make You Feel Better?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:54 PM
  • 12 Replies

Lets say you're having a crappy day.  Stuff seems to go wrong at every corner.  Ok, you tell your friend/SO/Mom someone and they say "It could be worse" and then they give you some sort of reason why it could be worse "Starving kids/dead puppies/wet kittens" hell I don't know.  What ever it is that's much worse than what you're dealing with.  Ok, does that make you feel better??? It makes me feel worse because now I'm thinking of those kids/puppies/kitties whatever AND my problems.  Why is it that just because things could be worse you shouldn't worry about your problems?  Sure things could be worse but just maybe they're bad enough now.  Just a random thought I had.

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cmb121906
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:56 PM

When I think I have it rough, I just remember that my problems are nothing compared to others. It makes me feel better.

This is what your admission looks like behind closed doors!

A lifetime of abuse and lockdown

Click for more info!

SouthernShawnee
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:57 PM

I've always felt this way. My opinion is-just because things could be worse doesn't mean they aren't bad now. Sometimes I just want to talk things out. I'm not looking for pitty or anything but talking is better than keeping it bottled up. I hate that phrase.

hautemama83
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:58 PM

That never helps anyone "feel better" I don't think. Personally when I am having a shitty day, and I talk to someone about it I am looking to have my feelings validated, not put down, because "it could be worse". Besides chances are I already know that what I am upset about is petty, I don't need that validated for me.

kaker104
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Nope. And right now, I'd kill for a cigarette so I don't snap. I'm sick of having to yell at my son bc he's deciding he doesn't want to frickin listen. I'm trying to calm down, but he keeps ignoring me and its making matters worse. 

meandmyshadow
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:01 PM

All pain is a 10,  even if someone else has it worse,  it doesn't do any good to think you should feel better.  You feel what you feel.

Live Simply..Give More..Expect Less

tonisalex
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:02 PM

Quoting pasteeater:

Lets say you're having a crappy day.  Stuff seems to go wrong at every corner.  Ok, you tell your friend/SO/Mom someone and they say "It could be worse" and then they give you some sort of reason why it could be worse "Starving kids/dead puppies/wet kittens" hell I don't know.  What ever it is that's much worse than what you're dealing with.  Ok, does that make you feel better??? It makes me feel worse because now I'm thinking of those kids/puppies/kitties whatever AND my problems.  Why is it that just because things could be worse you shouldn't worry about your problems?  Sure things could be worse but just maybe they're bad enough now.  Just a random thought I had.

No it doesn't make me feel better. Just like when some one has passed away all you hear is that 'they are in a better place', regardless of how they went via murder, was expected or not. They may be in a better place but you don't want them there, you want them here with you.

simplee_me

The phrase doesn't bother me.

Because truly there is very little in this world that I waste time or energy worrying about.

I am a firm believer in "things can always be worse" but not in the sense of comparing yourself to some person in some distant land. But looking at my own life, my own situation, I can see how a situation could be worse. And that makes me realize that things can and will get better, because I have experienced worse.   I also feel that how we view a situation or feel about a situation has a lot to do with our attitude. If someone thinks miserably they will feel miserable. If someone looks at the down, they will feel down.

Whatever you are going through. Things will get better. Maybe not on your timetable, but it will happen when it happens.  :-)

KT9105

No it doesn't make me feel better.  I hate it when people say "well it could be worse" it's so dismissive and condescending imo.

CafeMom Tickers
kaker104
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:05 PM

If I had heard that one more time after my stepmom died, I was going to knock the shit out of someone. That and, "She looks like she's asleep." WTF are you talking about? It doesn't even look like my goddamn mother!

Quoting tonisalex:

Quoting pasteeater:

No it doesn't make me feel better. Just like when some one has passed away all you hear is that 'they are in a better place', regardless of how they went via murder, was expected or not. They may be in a better place but you don't want them there, you want them here with you.

gilbertgrl627
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:07 PM

I always think (after someone says that to me), "Sure it could be worse. Could be a LOT worse." There are times and places for comments like that, though. Like, after a miscarriage, I don't want to hear, "It could be worse- you could not get pregnant at all." Sorry, but I'd rather have that. People don't usually say that to me b/c I have a tendency to go off on them when they try to make my problems less then they are....and I typically don't complain unless things are bad (like when my Dad died 10 days after my DS was born, or now that I know my DS-who's only 5 months- is allergic to eggs, dairy and possibly wheat--and I'm BF).

Sure, things could be worse, but someone telling me that isn't going to help my situation improve. I'm not suddenly going to look at it in a new light and thing, "Geez, you're right! What was I thinking venting to you about my problems when there are people out there who have much worse things to worry about! I should just shut my mouth and be happy that THIS is what I have to worry about, and not something far worse."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)