• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

People automatically hate me because of my parents. That's BS.

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:28 PM
  • 7 Replies

My "dad" is a total loser. When people find out that I'm his kid they get all weird.

My mom is kind of a meanie, same thing happens.

Then if someone knows both of my parents... forget it.

I'm not like either of them...well I'm kind of like my mom but not as extreme.

When I was like 8 one of the teachers at my daycare didn't like my mom so she was mean to me. The teachers in high school found out who my mom and dad are and just assumed I was a total drug addict. My one teacher totally stopped talking to me because my dad beat him up when they were in school. I learned to not tell people but when someone asks WTH am I supposed to say? "I don't know, I'm an orphan"

My parents must really suck at life or the people I'm meeting are really shallow and stupid.

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
misssy2000
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:31 PM

awl that sucks! My little brother has the same name as my biological father(whom I didn't grow up with) anywho he was arrested for stealing and the cops remembered my father(who was allegedly killed a cop, some black panthers stuff) and they busted my brother lips and roughed him up. He was just a kid when is happend but yea it sucks to be treated bad just because of your parents. My mom still tells my little broter who now stays out of troble to change his name.

TheresaMomof9
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:35 PM

YOU are NOT a loser. People can be mean. 

Only you can evaluate whether other's assessment of your parents is correct or not. If it is, then make up your mind to be different than them, and you can carve our YOUR own life--have YOUR own personality, be a wonderful, caring, nice human being.

If the reputation they have was truly earned then still try not to  be mad at your parents. They probably had some hard times themselves ---maybe bad parents themselves or other difficult circumstances. These things tend to be cyclical UNTIL someone decides to *break out*. YOU Can be that person who does it. Don't let this hold you back, mama!

And maybe some of these people are wrong and misjudged your parents. This wouldn't be the first time something like this happened. Regardless, you are a unique, beautiful person. Hang in there!

{{hugs}}

Allergic2Stupid

You can't help who your parents are!  I'm going with the shallow stupid thing myself and adding on small minded and ignorant!

It's true, sometimes bad parents/parenting can produce bad children but they can also produce children who loathe the thought of being like them and want a lot better for themselves.

Tell them all to eat your shorts.

OwensMama824

Yeah I'm definately taking DF's lastname when we get married. That way people can't be like "OMG are you Brian's daughter?" after hearing my name

Quoting misssy2000:

awl that sucks! My little brother has the same name as my biological father(whom I didn't grow up with) anywho he was arrested for stealing and the cops remembered my father(who was allegedly killed a cop, some black panthers stuff) and they busted my brother lips and roughed him up. He was just a kid when is happend but yea it sucks to be treated bad just because of your parents. My mom still tells my little broter who now stays out of troble to change his name.

bubbasmom0917
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:39 PM

i was excited that everyone in town knew my parents. i would get pulled over and hand my license over and they would ask who my parents were and tell me to be careful on my way home. at times it was a hassle, but on the other hand it was awesome. there is nothing wrong with you and you should reassure people that you are you and not your parents.

CeeGee81
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:44 PM

I know how you feel.  People hear/see my last name and say "you're not Basils daughter are you?" .  I admit to it and then I get all the stories of how my father beat up this many people and fought with this guy and almost killed him and beat the ass off this other guy etc etc....yes, every story is violent bullshit. I've had everyone from teachers to people I've worked with to cab drivers know my father and tell me these stories. Then these fools start to almost tip toe around me, it's very embarrassing and it always centers me out, I hate it!   I can't wait to take my OH's last name!

I don't have anything to do with my father.  I haven't since I was 13.

OwensMama824
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:18 PM

You must have decent parents that people actually like.

Quoting bubbasmom0917:

i was excited that everyone in town knew my parents. i would get pulled over and hand my license over and they would ask who my parents were and tell me to be careful on my way home. at times it was a hassle, but on the other hand it was awesome. there is nothing wrong with you and you should reassure people that you are you and not your parents.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)