Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism has its "challenges"...LOL

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:40 PM
  • 6 Replies

So..THIS week ..in the life and trials of Nicholas George....He no longer believe in the existence of "e" ..If he cant hear it in the word..it doesn't exist...failed all his spelling and language today.....and Benny..his stuffed rabbit...must be held at all times..BY ME!!!! He screams his head off if I put it down....LOL... Last week he refused to eat chips or cookies unless they came in a blue bag...and he refused to use apostrophes as they were not letters ..!!..So whats for next week???..I can't wait...sigh....

What "quirks" does your Autistic child have going right now????

(I am not trivializing any childs disabilities..I know Nick has far more serious problems than blue bags and "e" ..just sometimes..you have to laugh at the little things so you can cope with the big picture..)

Drillers Wife, Toughest Job In The Oil Field.

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
greenie63
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:46 PM

((hugs))  can i ever relate!

Aaron will only eat mac n cheese if the box says "Kraft" , and no scooby doo, or any other character noodle has to be the elbow lol.

He wants a detail of exactly what we have to buy at the grocery store and exactly how long will it take.

He cannot eat his cereal with milk, but yet he has to drink a glass of milk with his cereal. (scratching my head on that one)

He must always put on his zipper hoodie under his coat, if we try wihtout the hoodie, he has a "meltdown."

No liquid medicine, it will take him a good hour to take it. Thank god for the Triaminic strips!

His routine when he comes home from school is

do homework, have a snack and milk, play on his computer. Anything outside that he will get very grumpy.

Momma if we don't laugh we'll cry.

Just_Bethy
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:57 PM

Quoting greenie63:

Aaron will only eat mac n cheese if the box says "Kraft" , and no scooby doo, or any other character noodle has to be the elbow lol.

He wants a detail of exactly what we have to buy at the grocery store and exactly how long will it take.

He cannot eat his cereal with milk, but yet he has to drink a glass of milk with his cereal. (scratching my head on that one)

He must always put on his zipper hoodie under his coat, if we try wihtout the hoodie, he has a "meltdown."

No liquid medicine, it will take him a good hour to take it. Thank god for the Triaminic strips!

His routine when he comes home from school is

do homework, have a snack and milk, play on his computer. Anything outside that he will get very grumpy.

Momma if we don't laugh we'll cry.

Won't we ever...9 days out of 10 life is "normal" and great..that other day...when he melts down in a corner with his hands over his ears screaming...or he runs up and down til he is white from exhaustion...or his hand flapping and head shaking gets stares/comments  (he is coming up for 8) ...Yeah....sometimes I do want to cry.... But mostly I love the world he lets me share with him...Blessed be..

elly25
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:13 PM

Where do I start with my son?lol!!He will only wear a pair of sock once.By that I mean if he puts on a pair of sock and then his shoes to go to school.After he gets home and takes them off.If he wants to go play out side or we need to leave.He has to wear a new pair.Other wise he wont put his shoes on at all.He has to put his tooth brush and tooth paste in the same place every day/night.He has to sleep with every single blanket that he "loves" other wise he wont sleep.So that mean when it's over 100 out side and warm inside he has six blankets on him.He always has his fingers or something in his mouth.He chews his finger nails and toe nails because he doesn't like me to clip them.He will only take a shower in my bathroom because the other one if for babies.Because his sister uses it.If I try to get him to take one in there he has a melt down and we all know how fun those are.He wont sleep with out his stuffed animals (a monkey,a polor bear,and a dog).If he can't find one.He will look for them for hours and not sleep if they aren't there.Then make a big stink about it.He has to have clean hands at all times.My son has a bunch more,but this would be too long to post to you.lol!!

owls

elly25
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:17 PM

My son will only eat spiral mac n' cheese.Not any other shape.Not any other brand either.Just Kraft.

Quoting greenie63:

owls

Just_Bethy
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:19 PM

Oh I hear you on the socks! Nick is the same..I wash maybe 6 pairs a day for him alone...Maybe we should band together and see if we can invent disposable socks for Autistic kids!!!! We would make a fortune!! 

2gud2btrue
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:25 PM

my son has taken to growling and spatting.  he thinks its just hilarious. and i've tried EVERYTHING short of muzzling him lol.  and its ONLY in public places.  not school, not home, just in kroger or macys.  its horrible.  not spitting, just spatting.  but try taking your son out in public when he appears to be growling and spitting at strangers and well....we are now recluses.   

and i still cant for the life of me figure out what the hell is so funny about it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)