Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A religious question... Catholic or Pagan?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:45 PM
  • 7 Replies

Ok so Im soooo confused and I know Cafemom and I know this is potentially a very major debate/drama coming up but I am so confused I need help... I was born Catholic and for every Catholic out there you know being Catholic is different and very complex religion. I was very active in my church, alter girl, reader, all Sunday school classes... Well even as a young girl Ive always felt there was more out there. Im very nature orientated, I can "feel" the souls of every living thing. I know it sounds crazy to a Christian but you can see why Im so confused. I guess it has something to do with being part native american. Ive always embraced that part of my life with help of my grandmother (she's half native american). I believe in things that I should think Im going to Hell for. Like I believe in one God but I also believe in lesser dieties which would make me a Pagaen. Ugh!! I dont know! I also have a very screwed up vision of Heaven and Hell. I believe in reincarnation. Not like you come back as a snake or bug but as in your soul reincarnates to another human being until you perfect that soul into a high power to where you can be allowed in heaven. And obviously there is the same for evil. Tho evil isnt what I know exactly. It a very immature thought because Ive never really looked into this belief. It just comes to me naturally. My husband has been talking to me about it because he was raised Catholic also but he went to ALL Catholic schools so he knows more of the history than I. I was just wondering if anyone knows or has had this problem? I do believe in ONE high power but I also feel as there are other lesser powers. Not gods per se but something. Anyone?

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Mama_Kirch
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:05 PM

Bump! Anyone?

Kaelansmom
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:11 PM

Hmmm, i don't know what to say about that. I am a Wiccan, but I was raised Catholic (went so far as to start studying to be a nun).  I found that what I believed and felt to be true did not fall into what I was being taught (that and other things is what caused me to walk away from the church) .

So, i studied and found what I thought made the most sense.....but, I believe that there are many gods, not just one.

Cuenique
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:18 PM

I grew up in Catholicism. The school and the church. My personal opinion....there is a higher power and Catholicism IS pagan! Since your DH knows the history of HIS religion, ask him why did the Catholics had "holy wars" when the commandments state that "Thou shalt not kill?" How is Catholicism so right when for CENTURIES they have molested children? Why is the Catholic church spending so much money on commercials trying to "regroup their flock?" Don't get sucked into "purposeful ignorance." Always do your research. I don't follow an organized religion. Neither should you. Find your own path.

junebug624
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:22 PM

I like others, was raised Catholic... went to Catholic school, alter server... you name it I did it... was even confirmed when I was 13.... and thats where me practicing the religion ended.  Like you I had other thoughts on how things happen and finally I was lead down the Wiccan path and have been practicing ever since.  I am not in a coven, I just dont believe in them like I never believed in a church (not tryin to offend anyone who does).  If ya ever wanna talk just pm me, I share a lot of the same views as you do. 

I'm a vaxing, circing, disposable diaper using, bf switched to ff, CIO sometimes, pushed 1hr before a c-section (and don't regret it), college graduate, loving my son, can't wait to have another baby, trust your own judgement, kind of mom.

jbs_mommy
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:31 PM

I'm right there with you trying to figure it all out. Raised Catholic but rejected it after I could no longer stand the "people rules" (the one about my mom not being allowed to take communion due to getting divorced really sat wrong with me....but I digress)

As for the pagen part, my research has found that many of the traditional Christian holidays and practices stem from Pegan rituals/beliefs (e.g,. how many know why Easter falls on the first Sunday after the first full moon after the Spring Equinox -- or something like that!)

Life trials have challenged all of my issues with religion so I've done tons of reflection on what it is I believe.  Haven't found a path for myself yet, though I know in my heart the people teachings and preaching in the Christian mindset is not for me. I do believe there was a great man named Jesus, but he was just that a man.  I love the idea of reincarnated souls -- it "feels" right to me and that there is some higher power.  That's as far as I've gotten. 

Do you bring home the bacon while he fries it up in the pan?  Check out the Working Moms with SAHDs group!

Mama_Kirch
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:08 PM

Its good to know that Im not the only one going through this. Thanks girls! 

Mama_Kirch
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:44 PM

Just to be clear on some things I have NO hard feelings about Catholism. Ive been known as Catholic for almost 24 years and I have a close family who are all Catholic. Ive just known that it doesnt feel right to me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)