Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

do you have a supportive family?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:06 PM
  • 16 Replies

if so what do they do for you?

i'm just disapointed in mine. and even more in df's.

the only one who is supportive of us is my mom. and she can't really do much because she is very mentally ill. but she's always there to talk and loves to spoil the grandkids lol.

but just the little stuff is getting to me. like it was really hard to find someone to watch my daughter when my son was born... they never call, never ask if i need help with anything.

sometimes you just need someone to call if you have a minor medical question, discipline question... anything really. even just emotional support would be nice!

i dont EXPECT things from them. but i do miss them. i know they're all busy with their own lives but they seem to have totally forgot about us. idk if i did something to piss them off or what the problem is.

maybe i'm just to generous... i babysit my 2 year old little brother all the time, i made dinner for them when he was born for a while, i'm just the helpful one and i don't get anything back and its really wearing me down :(

and df's family doesn't even have anything to do with us anymore. they refuse to accept that my df is my dd's parent (i had her before we got together) and they just don't treat her well and are unwilling to change.

is this typical and i'm upset over nothing?

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ladybuglove08
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:08 PM

yes I do.  My mom and dh's parents are great.  Maybe have your dh talk to his parents and see if something is up? 

rubixcube.gif rubix cube picture by walshfamilyalbum

anetrnlov
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:10 PM

My parents are very supportive.  There isn't anything that they wouldn't do to help.

Eric's mom is supportive as is his sister but they are both 2 1/2 hours away.  His dad is generally a total prick.

charady

I am kinda in the same boat.  My family is there when THEY need something, but god forbid I ask for help.  When they want something, they wanted it 2 days ago, but if I need help they will maybe consider it in a few weeks!

Luckily I have a couple good friends IRL that help me out more than my family.  I just wish I could help them more than I do!!  But I try my best!

Btw, it is crap that your df's family treats your daughter like that.  I hope she is small enough she doesn't realize it yet :(

marilyn623
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:10 PM

they've hated me from day one! lol. i've let that go, its just my family thats getting to me.

they didn't want him to date me because i had already had a baby and they thought he shouldn't take that on.

Quoting ladybuglove08:

yes I do.  My mom and dh's parents are great.  Maybe have your dh talk to his parents and see if something is up? 

GenevieveD

Well my mom died in a house fire when I was little so I think it kinda forced the family dynamic in the super close direction KWIM.

My dad has always been there for me, he put me through college with a baby, he still helps me with anything I need and he’s always there to listen.

My older brother is one of my best friends. He is always cheering me on in what I do and helping me with my kids when I need a babysitter.

So to answer your question I don’t know what I would do without them. I can’t imagine not being able to call up my dad or drive over to my brother’s house and just chill....I think I would be kinda lost.

isra1986
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:11 PM

Nope. Mine is hopefully going to be out of our life for good soon!!!
DH's family is the best, but they are all overseas. I talk to them all on FB and I just love them!
We were watching My Big Fat Greek Wedding last night and I told HD I have always wanted a family like this! And they are just like his family!
I want my daughter to grow up with a family that loves and accepts her like that, not like mine. BAckstabbing and hateful!

CjEmmemommy
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:12 PM

My mother, Aunt, father/new wife, and Hubbies Dad and family are great.. They have never said anything bad about our marriage, kids or anything else. Helpful, supportive and loving.. My  mom is the only one I really count on for watching the kids, although she hasn't done it much because I stay home..

The rest of my family is very small and not good, as well as Hubbies mom and his step family.. Uck! Too much pain to keep talking to those people! Its definitely disappointing but we have gotten to the place where we would be the dumb ones if we went back again.. Not that they have contacted us, I would be shocked literally if I got a call from them without me contacting first.

Erica

a wedding website

LuvmySFSGT

Yes...though my FIL just came over and told me what to do for the first time in my life.

But he is right...its for my own good.

My inlaws...well they are not technically my inlaws anymore...but they are my family...my parents...I don't talk to them.

BraxtonsMom07

my family is the BEST we love them to death! my parents support us in everything we do. if we ever needed anything they would give it to us in a second...no questions asked. we live like 2 miles away from them:) so we see them almost everyday....my boys love going over there.....and they stay the night there at least once a week. they offer advice and support when needed....they have NEVER once offered "unwanted" advice they never criticized our parenting skills.... they are ALWAYS positive and supportive:) i just love them sooooo much!

marilyn623
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:13 PM

she's three... so kinda in between. i really don't get it because they adopted 4 kids and did foster care for years and years.... like how can they not accept dd into the family but they can adopt?!

Quoting charady:

I am kinda in the same boat.  My family is there when THEY need something, but god forbid I ask for help.  When they want something, they wanted it 2 days ago, but if I need help they will maybe consider it in a few weeks!

Luckily I have a couple good friends IRL that help me out more than my family.  I just wish I could help them more than I do!!  But I try my best!

Btw, it is crap that your df's family treats your daughter like that.  I hope she is small enough she doesn't realize it yet :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)