Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling question

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:21 PM
  • 8 Replies

I'm in the process of enrolling (did the initial application just have to send in final paperwork) my oldest son into a Virtual Academy. I'm a bit nervous and anxious at the whole thing. I dont have a lot of support as far as family and friends go and I'm going to college also.My son is hearing impaired (not completely deaf), ADHD, speech impairment, and a comprehension issue. And all the schools (all 5 in the past 5 years) have had issues with following IEP's, helping him understand and comprehend, so I figured this was going to be my best option since I know how to explain things to him!

I just want to know from other homeschooling momma's..... is it really that difficult to keep under control? He's in the K12 program which is tied to Ohio Virtual Academy here in (duh) Ohio! LOL.....

I just need to make sure I'm doing the right thing....

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mrsjones2207
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:25 PM

mine are 4and 3 and I just bought a curriculim im not sure about virtual schools. It may be best to ask this ? in one of the Homeschool forums.....sorry. 

Mylesbaby boyMykailahbaby girlMykahbaby boy

Distributor of Young Living Essential Oils and Supplements

Momof2MixdBoyz
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:27 PM

I did post it in one of the Homeschooling forums... after I posted it in here... figured it's not going to hurt to post in more than one place!

Quoting mrsjones2207:

mine are 4and 3 and I just bought a curriculim im not sure about virtual schools. It may be best to ask this ? in one of the Homeschool forums.....sorry. 

Momof2MixdBoyz
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:46 PM

bump

soupermom95
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:50 PM

Are you homeschooling or sending him through an on-line school?

Momof2MixdBoyz
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:10 PM

It's a virtual academy... but from what I understand it's both paper and computer work.... so I will be homeschooling him at the same time as the computer work...

Quoting soupermom95:

Are you homeschooling or sending him through an on-line school?

Arianna
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2010 at 12:43 AM

As long as you are organized, dedicated, and do not let him slide...you will do fine!!  This is my fourth year of homeschooling.  I do not use virtual school, but to me, it is just one option for homeschooling that will work for you, provided you do what you are supposed to do as his teacher and his mom.  If you do everything you need to do and stay on track, your son should have no problems adjusting to being home and schooling from home.

Remember, though...if this particular type of homeschooling does not work, it may take trying different methods of homeschooling to see what works.  Most people change methods several times over the course of their homeschooling, in order to adjust to the changes in the learning styles and learning curves of their children.

For instance...When I started homeschooling, I did it just like  they did it in schools...LOTS of bookwork and paperwork.  It is how I learned, and so it became my teaching style.  Well, I quickly learned that in homeschooling we have to adjust our teaching style in order to make sure that we are equally accepting and accommodating the learning style of the child.  In many ways, it is more important to try to match the learning style of the child and change the way we teach, rather than trying to make the child learn the same way as everyone else.

My son HATES paper work and book work.  So, we compromise.  We do 1/4 bookwork and paper work to accommodate my need for that as part of our portfolio, and then 1/4 of our work is completely unschooling, and the other 1/2 is hands on project based...with elements attached from Reggio Emelia and Montessori methods.

It is challenging, but at the same time...it is fun and truly works for both of us.  He gets a couple different ways to learn, so that if on a particular day..if he is having problems with paperwork, we can switch over to one of the others and still homeschool.

Good luck!!!

Arianna

Mama, Wife, Homeschooler, Director of Religious Education, and Pagan UU Panentheist.

Leener3
by on Jan. 30, 2010 at 1:12 AM

Just curious, how will you do the computer work if live lessons are required?  Will he get closed caption?  A signing translator? 

Is the virtual school developing an IEP for him?  Speech & hearing are automatic federal qualifiers so he will be entitled to speech therapy and hearing therapy, will you take him to those therapy's or develop an online live lesson?  

In my experience ADHD & autistic children have the most difficult time with online live lessons and most if not all do much better in person.  Given his disabilities do you have any peer groups set up wiht other hearing impaired children?  Or with typicaly developing children?

Organization is key.  So is treating it like a job. Gotta get up and start school. 

Momof2MixdBoyz
by on Jan. 30, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Quoting Leener3:

Just curious, how will you do the computer work if live lessons are required?  Will he get closed caption?  A signing translator? His hearing isn't that far gone that he needs a translator as of yet. As long as there is no background or distraction noise he can adjust perfect!

Is the virtual school developing an IEP for him?  Yes they are going off the IEP that the school that we just left started with some adjustments. Speech & hearing are automatic federal qualifiers so he will be entitled to speech therapy and hearing therapy, will you take him to those therapy's or develop an online live lesson?  He goes to therapy sessions now, those will continue and they are also going to provide their own.

In my experience ADHD & autistic children have the most difficult time with online live lessons and most if not all do much better in person. My son does a lot better and focuses a whole lot better one on one either on the computer or with me and him doing things together in a learning aspect. He has comprehension problems and not many teachers that I have ran into have the patience or the know how to get him to understand things.

Given his disabilities do you have any peer groups set up wiht other hearing impaired children?  Or with typicaly developing children?They are helping me with groups in the area that have children with his disabilities. I'm very pleased with the questions and concerns they have showed and discussed with me thusfar. 

Organization is key.  So is treating it like a job. Gotta get up and start school. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)