Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can't find it quickly on Google...9 month old and solids...

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:21 PM
  • 9 Replies

I am wondering about how much 9 months olds eat as far as "solids".  My son was out of day care for a month and  I brought him back today.  I have been giving him between 2-3 stage 2 Gerber fruits or vegetables a day in addition to his formula (32 oz) and a couple snacks (Gerber yogurt bites or puffs)

He usually had 1 gerber fruit for lunch and then 1 or 2 (fruit, vegetable or both) for dinner.  I brought 5 for him FOR THE WEEK to day care...and when I read his report today, they had fed him THREE stage 2's before 4:30 pm.  I realize there may be lack of communication in how much I usually give him, but I am wondering if I haven't been feeding him enough?  I also realize that I may be behind with how much I give him now that he is getting older, but I'm not sure.

They gave him one Gerbers stage 2 (banana/blueberry) w/cereal at 10:00 and then 1 Green Bean and 1 Squash Gerbers stage 2 mixed w/cereal and water at 2:00.  The reason I'm asking is because I've never given him that much, but they are more experienced than I am so maybe that isn't too much? 

Also, he had just over 14 oz of formula by 4:30.  He usually takes 32 oz a day (four 8 oz bottles a day)...there is no way I'm going to be giving him another 18 oz before bedtime - he normally would have had 24 oz by 5:00 or so.

As I understand it, formula is the main source of nutrition until 1 year old, so that is why I haven't been pushing solids so much.

Bottom line....do you think day care gave him too much solids....or am I giving him too little????

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
judybant
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:32 PM

As a general rule, babies and children up to age 2 or so, will only eat when they are hungry, and will push away when they are satisfied, not when they're over stuffed, like us adults do...

That being said, I don't know what "stature" your son has, is he on the lean side? Or is he a chunky monkey? Is he tall, short, or average? MY son was born at the 110th percentile, and stayed there until he was 3. By the time he was 9 months old, he was eating cereal mixed with fruit at 3 hour intervals during the day, AND drinking 24 to 32 ounces of formula a day. I was SO concerned that he was eating too much. He was SO fat! He actually had rolls on his CALVES... not at the ankle and knee, but in the MIDDLE of them! I talked to his pediatrician, and she assured me that he was fine. If he ate less, he'd drop off of his growth curve, and that would be bothersome.

Another point to be made is... at day care, he's a "job" to do, not their own precious little prince. And while I'm sure they're very nice to him, I KNOW that they don't spend as much time talking to him, and playing airplane with the spoon, etc... so for YOU he eats less, because you're taking more time between spoonfuls, and he registers as "satisfied", and stops eating. At Daycare... I am sure they talk to him, but as a general rule, unless he's the ONLY kid under a year, they have a BUNCH of kids to get fed, etc... so they take MUCH less time to feed... so they keep packin' it in, and he doesn't register as "satisfied", but goes past that, to "over stuffed". It's just like us adults who eat too darned fast! That's why we have weight problems.

I would simply leave a note in the bag, and say, "this food is for the week of ______" If you don't want him to be getting that much. If he's growing fine, and his growth curve is a nice, even line, and he's happy... then keep on keepin' on, Momma...  

sharivegas0614
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:41 PM

They probably could be overfeeding him and to put a note in with his food or only bring in what you want him feed for the day.The last daycare I taught at the parents of the infants brought food daily for their children.

Mommy(Christine) 30 + Daddy(Thomas) 25 = Makayla 5 & Lilly 2 & Little Man Due May 3rd 2010

ready_for2
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:42 PM

my son was always a good eater and at 9 months he would eat a stage 3 or two stage 2s at a time like it was nothing!! he also ate normal food with us at the table, and of course drinking 24-34 oz of formula, compared to what my son ate, it sounds like you arent feeding him much!! but they are all different, but if he is eating it, then he was hungry...so maybe you should feed him more? if he didnt want it, he wouldnt eat it

one_on_the_way
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:45 PM

Quoting one_on_the_way:

I am wondering about how much 9 months olds eat as far as "solids".  My son was out of day care for a month and  I brought him back today.  I have been giving him between 2-3 stage 2 Gerber fruits or vegetables a day in addition to his formula (32 oz) and a couple snacks (Gerber yogurt bites or puffs)

He usually had 1 gerber fruit for lunch and then 1 or 2 (fruit, vegetable or both) for dinner.  I brought 5 for him FOR THE WEEK to day care...and when I read his report today, they had fed him THREE stage 2's before 4:30 pm.  I realize there may be lack of communication in how much I usually give him, but I am wondering if I haven't been feeding him enough?  I also realize that I may be behind with how much I give him now that he is getting older, but I'm not sure.

They gave him one Gerbers stage 2 (banana/blueberry) w/cereal at 10:00 and then 1 Green Bean and 1 Squash Gerbers stage 2 mixed w/cereal and water at 2:00.  The reason I'm asking is because I've never given him that much, but they are more experienced than I am so maybe that isn't too much? 

Also, he had just over 14 oz of formula by 4:30.  He usually takes 32 oz a day (four 8 oz bottles a day)...there is no way I'm going to be giving him another 18 oz before bedtime - he normally would have had 24 oz by 5:00 or so.

As I understand it, formula is the main source of nutrition until 1 year old, so that is why I haven't been pushing solids so much.

Bottom line....do you think day care gave him too much solids....or am I giving him too little????

Thank you so much for your reply (and the details and thoroughness). 

My son's height and weight have been consistent...90th % for length and 50th % for weight.  He goes to a daycare where there are 8 infants with 1 head teacher, 1 assistant teacher and about 2-3 student teachers (he attends a University day care where they have "early childhood education majors" doing their internships there).  I haven't worried about the attention he is getting since I have been there during meal times and the staff to child ratio is enough (more than pretty much ANYwhere else!) so they can really pay attention.

That said...I couldn't believe when I read that they fed him 2 full stage twos for lunch (with oatmeal cereal and water)!!!  If he still seems hungry at home after a full stage two that is when I will make him a bottle - only b/c I read (and heard) that formula offers more actual nutrition than, say, Gerber peas (but he might get full from the peas and not be hungry for the formula).  Maybe they are feeding him too fast...I'm not sure.

This being my first child I feel like as much as I try to learn about things, I am constantly second-guessing myself.  I don't want to tell them "don't feed him so much of that" if that is what maybe I should be feeding him!  You know what I mean?  I've never been a mom before...so how should I really know?  It's all trial and error. 

Thank you so much for your input! 

one_on_the_way
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:49 PM

Quoting ready_for2:

my son was always a good eater and at 9 months he would eat a stage 3 or two stage 2s at a time like it was nothing!! he also ate normal food with us at the table, and of course drinking 24-34 oz of formula, compared to what my son ate, it sounds like you arent feeding him much!! but they are all different, but if he is eating it, then he was hungry...so maybe you should feed him more? if he didnt want it, he wouldnt eat it

I guess that is what I have been concerned about....I don't think I let him go hungry (as I said...if he still seems hungry after "solids" I make him a bottle).  But maybe I could start giving him more.

I have noticed that his stools were a little stiff and I wondered if it was from giving him too much cereal with his Gerber stage 2.  Well, when I got home with him today...he had A LOT of soft poopy (sorry for TMI!).  His 9 month check up is on Feb. 3rd so I will talk to his pedi to get some advice...but I always love advice from real mommas....who have been there and "done that"!  :o)

EtiesMommy
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:50 PM

When my son was 9 months old he would eat about 2-4 oz of baby cereal with a stage 2 fruit for breakfast. Lunch was a stage2 fruit a stage 2 veggie and sometime a stage 2 dinner. Dinner was cereal with fruit and at least one veggie. He was also eating 6-8 8 oz bottles a day as well.

VJennyLynnS
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:50 PM

oh no.. now I feel like my daughter is a freak it takes 1-2 days for her to eat ONE jar of baby food. she just wont eat it.. i've tried to keep distractions away from her when she's eating but nothing works. she gets destracted by her clothes and things and then she's whining a few minutes later because she's hungry. she's breastfed so she drinks and drinks and drinks all day long but won't eat the babyfood..

armywifenmom09
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:55 PM

IDK you don;t seem to be giving him enough to me. But then again my daughter is a chunky monkey and was on table foods at 9 months. She wasn;t satisfied and didn;t like baby food so she pushed it away. She wouldn;t take a bottle except at bedtime either and I had to do something. So I don;t know anything about going by the book as far as a child's diet goes. Especially considering that mine just wasn;t happy with baby food. She zipped through it... 

mama310583
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:02 PM

My son is 9 months and he eats what ever we eat, exept hard foods or milk products. Today he had peach apple sauce, mashed potatoes with broccoli, ground turkey roast, graham crackers, chamomille tea and 8 oz of formula. He also really enjoys grated apple with grated carrot, cranberry juice, herbal teas, bread, bananas, boiled or scrambled eggs, basically everything he is not going to choke on. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)