• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

goverment healthcare question (medicaid)

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:59 PM
  • 16 Replies

Do you think someone who is considered 'morbidly obease' should be able to have plastic/gastric bypass surgery?

Yes or no, and why?

Proud 20 year old, married, SAHM to four beautiful boys (three of which are my nephews I have costody of), one amazing little girl, one boston terrier, and one beagle!!

I'm a breast feeding, cosleeping, babywearing, vax giving, circumcising, disposiable diapering, boo boo kissing, dinner cooking, coupon clipping, girl ear piercing mom and PROUD of it!! 
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
prestonjohn
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:05 PM

YES then they could get off there fat ass and work,,lol,,,j/k,,but yes if its for health reasons,,not cosmetic

Nzumbe
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:07 PM

Medicaid does offer gastric bypass for morbidly obese people with certain medical conditions.

AMarineLovesMe
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:07 PM

This is one of the few elective procedures I do think Medicaid should cover.  The long list of health problems that go hand in hand with morbidly obese will cost the government more in the long run to treat than it will for them to nip the problem in the bud and allow these people to have bypass surgery.  BUT I do believe that if the people that have the surgery do not follow the aftercare instructions, such as the diet, to maintain the weight loss then they should have to pay the government back for the surgery - take it from tax returns or whatever else if they can't afford the payments.

pregnancy calendar

baby

hottie4amommy
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:09 PM

haha

Quoting prestonjohn:

YES then they could get off there fat ass and work,,lol,,,j/k,,but yes if its for health reasons,,not cosmetic

NO i think they got them self into that mess they should get out of it . why should MY tax dollars pay people to lose the fat they put onto themselves ....i didn't do it to them

I can't stand obesity! People need to put down the food and exercise 

http://photography-frommyeyestoyours.web.officelive.com

sharivegas0614
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:12 PM

Obesity is not only caused by people eating themselves fat.I'll make sure I ask my mom that next time I see her if she ate herself fat or was it hormones....What a closed-minded thing to say.

Quoting hottie4amommy:

Mommy(Christine) 30 + Daddy(Thomas) 25 = Makayla 5 & Lilly 2 & Little Man Due May 3rd 2010

AllNaturalMum
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:12 PM

I think so. I am on medical assistance, and you would be terrified at some of the things that will be covered if I can get a doctor to say it is medically necessary... One example, if I can get a doctor to say that my back pain will get better if I have smaller boobs, the state will pay for a breast reduction for me.

So yes! I think a gastric bypass or a lap band is a perfectly acceptable procedure. In the long run, it will prevent a lot of medical problems and save the state money.

pregnancy calendar
MzSeXyC
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:14 PM

i think that would be ok to cover on medicaid. 

Skyecaitlin88
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:16 PM

really???

Quoting AllNaturalMum:

One example, if I can get a doctor to say that my back pain will get better if I have smaller boobs, the state will pay for a breast reduction for me.

hottie4amommy
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:18 PM

It's also from laziness .

I very much think it's a choice. People find it much easier to just let themselves go then to workout . Your not born obese....you become that way. 

I was in a wheelchair for 2 years when i was a youth and got fat . After i could walk and run again i lost all the weight . Even after having 2 kids ( one being 2 months old ) i still maintain my weight and figure  ( 5'4, 106 )

Quoting sharivegas0614:

Obesity is not only caused by people eating themselves fat.

Quoting hottie4amommy:

http://photography-frommyeyestoyours.web.officelive.com

isra1986
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:20 PM

Yep. And I will tell my wheel chair bound grandmother to get up even though the Multiple sclerosis has eaten away and exposed all her nerves!

Quoting sharivegas0614:

Obesity is not only caused by people eating themselves fat.I'll make sure I ask my mom that next time I see her if she ate herself fat or was it hormones....What a closed-minded thing to say.

Quoting hottie4amommy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)