Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 11 yr old DD hates her body!!! What do I do??

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:59 PM
  • 23 Replies

My dd Nadia is 11. She is smart and active. I just went into her room to tuck her in and kiss her goodnight, and I saw that she was crying. I asked why, and she said because her body is gross. I was shocked, my mouth dropped. She says she wants to be a size 1 like her cousin. I told that all girls are built differently, and that she is still growing. So I put her in front of the mirror and asked her to show me what she did not like about herself. She hates her stomach because it's not flat, and her thighs because they are too thick and her butt because he father told her that eating rolls and bread go straight to your ass.

She says that she like herface, but her body has to go. What do I do? I don't know how to handle this?  Will this turn into an eating disorder?

Any advice??

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aprilmommy2007
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:01 PM

i would look into one of those dove self esteem workshops that they have

I am a 23 yr old, single mom,to a beautiful little girl mackenzie. I am a co-sleeping, anti-cio, formula feeding, disposible diapering, spanking/time outs when needed, pitbull/bully breed loving, college student, don't give a crap what you think of me type of mom

rennez
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:02 PM

oh mama i'm so sorry.  i don't have any advice, but i think you handled it very well. 

NadiasMommy427
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:03 PM

How do I find out about that??

Quoting aprilmommy2007:

sharisse
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:04 PM

it could turn into an eating disorder..

but i would see if theres any websites for girls her age to deal with the problem..

or american girl makes really good books about body image/issues.

CoastieWifePR
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:04 PM

WTF?  why the hell would he tell an 11 yr old that?  I'm sorry I don't have any advice, my girl is -thank God- still a baby and when I was 11 I didn't even worry about my body...  Hope things get better

Quote:

her butt because he father told her that eating rolls and bread go straight to your ass.

misssy2000
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:05 PM

If she is overweight then can you encourage her to join a sport or maybe do some activities with her,. If she is not and its all in her mind then Maybe show her someone that she would admire that is built like her and how beautiful she is.

Dara0820
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:05 PM

Compliment her daily, and try to find pictures online of pretty bigger girls..maybe if she sees girls her size that look really good then she will realize she doesn't look bad. Help her, buy clothes that make her look thin...I have no idea, I personally don't think an 11 year old should be worried about how their body looks personally....but that's just me. Good luck mama....I hope something can come of this, and you can somehow make her feel better. **hugs**

BTW tell her dad to keep his damn mouth shut, because of him she's having self esteem issues.

pregnancy

Dara

mommy2two26
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:07 PM

I would google it...theres got to be a phone number or address....im sorry mommy!!!God Bless and I hope all goes well!!!!

hugs

Quoting NadiasMommy427:

How do I find out about that??

Quoting aprilmommy2007:

soupermom95
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:08 PM

That is the saddest thing I think I have ever heard...I am so sorry she is going through this.  I wish I had some advice to give.  Please watch her closely and continue to tell her how pretty she is.  And talk to her daddy!!!  Make sure he knows how she is feeling and that he just needs to be cautious with the things he says.

Good luck to you

sharisse
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:08 PM

i wanted to add also.. maybe the book chicken soup for the girls soul?

http://www.pamf.org/preteen/mybody/girls/ < theres a website also

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)