• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Puppy Suggestions?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:13 PM
  • 9 Replies

Helloooo ladies.
My question is what breed of dog would you recommend for growing up with a baby.
I want not large but nothing annoyingly small.
Help pleaseee.

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
geminishadow79
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:16 PM

australian cattle dog! they are friendly, loyal, amazing with children of all sizes, they aren't distructive, smart as hell and they are a good mid sized dog. not to big and not to small

AMarineLovesMe
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:31 PM

They are amazing kid dogs, but coming from someone who used to breed them for ranchers and the family farm, the majority of them WILL become destructive if they don't have enough mental stimulation.  They need lots of excersice and mentally challenging games - Kong toys are great for them.  Yes, like every breed you will come across exceptions to the rule, but your best bet with one of these is to find one that has no working dogs in the past 2-3 generations at least.  The herding instinct is always in them and if they come from working lines it will be there even stronger and make them more likely to become easily bored.

Quoting geminishadow79:

australian cattle dog! they are friendly, loyal, amazing with children of all sizes, they aren't distructive, smart as hell and they are a good mid sized dog. not to big and not to small

pregnancy calendar

baby

Mom2jngnc
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:19 PM

Depends. I would also suggest looking into what your homeowner's/renters insurance has on their "bad" list.

I have children ages: 14, 10, 7 and 2. I grew up with German Shephards.... and love them. However, they are a no go with homeowners ins. Currently I have a Beagle/Lab, a Lab/unknown, and a Dorkie.

Look into the different breeds, and what they need. Grooming, exercise, attention. A puppy requires about as much attention as a 6 month old baby, and will for about 2 years.

I used "The Everything Dog Book" they have a nice breakdown on the various breeds.

Wife to John, Mom to John, Garrett, Christopher and Alexander 

"Your stupidity is my husbands job security."

Kaelansmom
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:34 PM

Hmmm that depends.....the breeds I grew up with, no one would recommend for a baby.

I had chow chows, an Akita Inu, poodle and German Shepherds.

Dh had a Golden Retriever.

When DS was born we had  a Korean Jindo.

But, all of our dogs were incredibly sweet. (Though, the chows were both rescue dogs, so dad had to work with tehm for a while)

Shelter dogs are awesome though. I have a lab mix and a Shepherd mix....both are incredibly good dogs.

AMom29
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:44 PM

Collies are great kid dogs, but they shed A LOT.  Golden Retrievers I've heard are good dogs, too.

AKC.com has lists of breed and info on them  Google pet breed finder and see what you find.

supertech210
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:46 PM

I would recommend that you just do your research. There are so many dogs that are great w/ children and so many that are not great for children. As a Veterinary Tech I have to recommend you go to a shelter first, of course ;) The shelter is such a great way to save a life. You can try petfinder.com. They will give you dogs in ur area that need homes and it will say if they are good w/ kids, cats, dogs, etc...

Good luck, I hope you find a perfect fit for your family!

pellen
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:50 PM

I would suggest a Labrador. They are loyal, loving, and fun loving. They love children and their temperament is wonderful for small kids.

CafeMom Tickers

I am a live off the land, hunting, fishing, meat eating, only child raising, republican, cat owning, spanking when nessesary, southern country living type of Momma!

wickedfiress
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:03 PM

A mutt from a shelter. :) 

It's amazing how people don't hold themselves to the standards they set for others.

haileys-mama
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:07 PM

I would say a total mutt from the shelter.  They make the bestest dogs.  However, if you need breed guidelines on finding the right pooch at the shelter, I would suggest a lab, or a golden retriever.  However, be prepared if you decide to get a purebred golden, as they are HIGHLY prone to cancer.  and at young ages.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)