• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tipping for haircuts question

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:00 PM
  • 13 Replies

I never know what is good to tip for a haircut.  Should you tip based on the cost of the haircut, the quality of it, or combination of both?  If there are any hair stylists out there or anyone who works at a salon, what would you consider fair? 

Also, the woman who cuts my hair lets people with bangs come in to have their bangs trimmed between haircuts for free.  This is the first time I've had bangs.  How much should I tip for just having the bangs done?  This is the first haircut I've had from her and at this salon and I want to make sure I'm not undertipping her.

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
raegansmom
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:01 PM

I usually do about 20% maybe a bit more if I LOVE my cut/ color.

Tazz2
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:03 PM

when my old man trims my hair with the clippers, I give him a blowjob

ProudMami2008
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:04 PM

lmao!

Quoting Tazz2:

when my old man trims my hair with the clippers, I give him a blowjob

LuvmySFSGT
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:04 PM

My hair cut is like $17 thats a shampoo...cut...and flat iron...I pay $30. If I get a color with it I usually pay about $58 and leave $80.

I LOVE my hairstyist...and her low prices leave me room to leave large tips!

ff-princess
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:07 PM

I got an awesome cut the other day at Great Clips for $15, I tipped her $5.  I used to tip $5 for a bang trim too, but this was not at a salon.  at a salon I would tip at least 20%, and probably $7 - 10 for a bang trim.

maynaysmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:10 PM

I would tip 20% at least.  How much are bang trims usually?  Here they are $7-$10, but since you are gettingit free, I would probably tip $5. 

baparrot2
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:11 PM

Quoting LuvmySFSGT:

My hair cut is like $17 thats a shampoo...cut...and flat iron...I pay $30. If I get a color with it I usually pay about $58 and leave $80.

I LOVE my hairstyist...and her low prices leave me room to leave large tips!

Although Ashley is tipping way GENEROUSLY, she probably always gets in when she wants, dosn't have her stylist blabbing onthe phone while she's in the chair, and I bet her stylist gives her all the special eaxtra little details with out fail everytime!

I've been a stylist and salon owner for 22 years. Think.....waitress. 15% for decent service and 20% and above to let her know that you are loyal and she will be loyal to you forever!!! It's worth it!

Bangs? five dollar tip if she's doing it for free.

iluvmypreemies
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:16 PM

For my cut, color and style (I have a solid and peek a boo highlights) I pay $90 and I always tip $ 25-30. I love my stylist. She is awesome and we always have a blast making fun of people when I go.

purple ribbon
Lupus Awarness                         

torttia
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:19 PM

I go to cheap places, My cuts are $10.00, I usually tip $3-$4. I am going to go to beauty school soon and I would suggest to everyone to go to a student :) Leave us tips lol.

Daisypath Wedding tickers
AMom29
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:39 PM

Oh, dumb question time.

When we were arguing last about tipping in restaurants, one of the arguments was that waitresses didn't make minimum wage, so the tip was part of the income.

Don't stylists get paid pretty well?  I mean, it's a trade, right?  I've always wondered about that and then, conversely, what was a fair tip.

I go to cheap places now, so I usually tip 15-20% of the final total.  I don't get anything fancy, though. 

Oh, and Ashley? Way to make us all look bad.  :-)  If I'd ever received a tip like that, I'd have passed out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)