• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Comparing a military paycheck to welfare?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:15 PM
  • 640 Replies

I've seen this a few times and I'm curious how people can even compare the two.  In my mind they're completely different.  My DH's pay check comes from the government and we live off of it.  I'm not saying all people on PA don't work but he works and has a committment to the military in order to get that paycheck.  It's not just handed over.

And in the same vein, do people really think the military pays that great?  Someone earlier was bitching about all the "free" stuff the military gets and she didn't think it was fair.  Aside from healthcare and housig paid for by an allowance what exactly do we get for free?

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kameronsmommy08
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:17 PM

I know what you mean dh and my brother are Marines. Dh is a Sgt so it's decent. But my bro makes crap.

ajswenson
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:18 PM

I know this is not what you meant, and I have family and friends in the military so I mean NO DISRESPECT to those serving for all of us....but really, housing is a HUGE expense for most.  Usually it's the biggest expense for a family, and health insurance isn't too far behind.

LuvmySFSGT
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:18 PM

That's like saying the president is on welfare...its the stupidest shit I have ever heard.

If it soooo great...join the fucking military.

kaker104
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:19 PM

Free? Free my ass. Are they aware of what it actually cost? Months away from their families. Some couples can' handle the stress and divorce. Children don't spend as much time w/their parent. And some even die. If they didn't include housing or medical, we could never be able to afford them. So, who ever said that can go eat a dick. 

lovemymarine306

i have never heard that, but i have heard women say that military people have no room to complain since their lives are so cushy...haha

LuvmySFSGT

Quoting ajswenson:

I know this is not what you meant, and I have family and friends in the military so I mean NO DISRESPECT to those serving for all of us....but really, housing is a HUGE expense for most.  Usually it's the biggest expense for a family, and health insurance isn't too far behind.

Yeah...but thats the reason the pay is way low....under minimum wage for a lot of people. Because you do get other benefits.

And its not free...its a benefit of one of the hardest jobs in this country.

wickedfiress
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:20 PM

Quoting ajswenson:

Housing isn't "free" for us either. Even when you live on post - you forfeit some of your pay to live there.

It's amazing how people don't hold themselves to the standards they set for others.

MrsGonzo517
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:20 PM

AGREED!

Quoting kaker104:

Free? Free my ass. Are they aware of what it actually cost? Months away from their families. Some couples can' handle the stress and divorce. Children don't spend as much time w/their parent. And some even die. If they didn't include housing or medical, we could never be able to afford them. So, who ever said that can go eat a dick. 

AirForceWife412
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:21 PM

the military really doesn't pay that great. we get nothing else free. we get help with schooling from grants or scholarships but then again military spouses have to qualify like everyone else. so healthcare and housing is free.well allowances.. and for the ones who think it pays so great. then why are alot of military families struggling or on PA? exactly. we're just like everyone else. that check comes with strings attached.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

kaker104
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:21 PM

BTW... WHO THE FUCK STARTED THE RUMOR THAT MILITARY GETS PAID A LOT? I VOTE WE FIND THEM THEN STRING THEM UP. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)