• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

It's time for the home, Grampa!

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:19 PM
  • 6 Replies

I avoid the busy Wal-Mart in my town because of I seem to attract all the jerks.  But, today, we were visiting my dad, in a very small town & I thought I would have no problem in that Wal-Mart.  HAHAHA!  We were going down an isle, towards the feminine products which are on a wall.  When I got to the end of the isle there were a couple people there.  I stopped to wait, no biggie.  This man, probably between 75 & 80, decides he's coming down my isle.  He clips the end of my cart & almost hit my 2 older kids.  I furrowed my brow, but otherwise let it pass.  My way had cleared & I go on to pick out what I need & I guess he wasn't satisfied with his near-miss, because here he comes again.  He came right back up the next isle, turned back towards us & didn't even skip a beat.  He wasn't hauling butt or anything, he was elderly, but he pushed his cart right into my son, who is 9, & kept on going.  He just ran his cart right into my kid!  AND KEPT GOING!!!  My son didn't even see him coming.  His jaw dropped & he was looking at me like, 'Mom, help me'!  This other lady was standing there with her daughter & she just stared.  It was unbelievable.  I always have to deal with these people.  God, Karma & the cosmos send them to me.  I told him, quite firmly, "You don't run into people's children with your cart.  You didn't even slow down to give him a chance to move.  Don't you know how to say excuse me!"  He just kept going so I called him a "JERK!"  I am still in disbelief.  

Before I get crap, he was healthy, he was not mentally handicapped & he was not deaf or blind.  He was just an old A-HOLE. 

I am not afraid to stick my hand in a toilet, for I am Mom.

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
sllytnkrbl
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:39 PM

I am not defending the man but I have to say your comment about him being healthy and having nothing wrong bothered me, you don't know that.   No he shouldn't have hit your son but you should have asked if he knew he did it instead of assuming he was just being an ass.   My dad appears to be completely healthy if you saw him you would never know that because of complications during surgery he sustained some damage to his brain and he doesn't think clearly or often remember much.   I don't think he'd do what this man did but he is no longer always concsious of other people so I have learned not to judge.   I just had to share that because even though you had a right to be upset your son was hit, you had no right to judge that man without any knowledge of him.   I'm just really sensitive on the subject now. 

kk_bella
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:42 PM

I'm supposed to log in to an online study session tonight and now I'm thinking that might be a bad idea. In both your post and the one reply I read, I was thinking, "Why does it matter if he was wealthy? How do you know he was wealthy?"

LOL

sllytnkrbl
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:45 PM

healthy not wealthy, as in mentally healthy

Quoting kk_bella:

I'm supposed to log in to an online study session tonight and now I'm thinking that might be a bad idea. In both your post and the one reply I read, I was thinking, "Why does it matter if he was wealthy? How do you know he was wealthy?"

LOL

carlye828
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:56 PM

Quoting sllytnkrbl:

I am not defending the man but I have to say your comment about him being healthy and having nothing wrong bothered me, you don't know that.   No he shouldn't have hit your son but you should have asked if he knew he did it instead of assuming he was just being an ass.   My dad appears to be completely healthy if you saw him you would never know that because of complications during surgery he sustained some damage to his brain and he doesn't think clearly or often remember much.   I don't think he'd do what this man did but he is no longer always concsious of other people so I have learned not to judge.   I just had to share that because even though you had a right to be upset your son was hit, you had no right to judge that man without any knowledge of him.   I'm just really sensitive on the subject now. 

Sorry that comment offended you.  I have a lot of experience with elderly people, I have been a care taker to all of my grandparents, and also, some others.  In order to cut the story down, I left out observations that I made about the man when I saw him walking around on the other side of the store.  For example, he steered clear of some other shoppers, that were big enough to defend themselves.  He was also by himself.  I don't know about anyone else, but after my Grampa started slipping a bit, he wasn't by himself to be let loose in the store.  We never worried about him running over small animals & children, but there is a good chance he would have forgotten where he was & where he was supposed to return to.  That comment was not meant to be offensive at all, it was meant to stop any comments like that before they came. 

I am not afraid to stick my hand in a toilet, for I am Mom.

sllytnkrbl
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:08 PM

I realize you didn't mean anything by it, like I said I'm really sensitive and I'm happy to hear you realize there are signs.  I was just thinking about a few weeks ago when my dad managed to sneak out on my brother and it took us 3 hours to find him, we had notified police and turns out one of the officers had seen him and had even talked to him and didn't realize it was the man they were looking for because he assumed that he was looking for someone who was disoriented not totally coherent like dad was.   I just pictured that kind of situation.   I didn't take it as offensive I'm sorry I left that impression it was more a message for everyone reading to not jump to conclusions, which it seems you didn't.   I'm still getting used to the reactions from people during dad's less coherent moments and it bugs me right now so I try to make people aware. 

McKs0820
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:14 PM

When I was like 7 I was on a field trip to central park and I was relatively small and this old lady came out of nowhere and I ran into her by accident and I was like I'm so sorry and she pushed me to the ground, I remember this so clearly I started crying cause I felt so bad and didn't know why she was being so mean. :-/ Also my great grandmother had really horrible demntia before she passed away and she would like throw orange peels at people....it was cute lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)