Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WHICH one would you want to be your child??

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:48 PM
  • 18 Replies

Poll

Question: which one looks safest to you.

Options:

rearfacing

forward facing in harness

highback booster

low back booster

just the seatbelt

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 28

View Results

So these crash tests were done at 35mph. all of the are frontal impacts.

The dummy in the Forward Facing car seat the seat belt - and in both booster seats is the 6 year old dummy weighing 51lbs

The baby in the RFing carseat is the one year old dummy - i'm not sure of the weight.

So my question is simple if you were in an accident - where which dummy would you want to be your child??  THIS ISN"T about what your child weighs or uses now.  Assume that you have a child that fits with in the limit of which ever seat you would want.

on a interesting side note - ALL these children are restrained correctly according to the law in Florida

OK BY POPULAR request 6 year old dummy RFing.

I'm Jessi, 28 year old SAHM to one crazy three year old Austin, currently harnessed in a Britax Frontier.  I'm a Child Passanger Safety Technician (CPST).  We only get one chance in a motor vehicle accidents, the decisions you make can save your childs life.  To find out more follow me here.

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aviatorswife
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:55 PM

I'm not sure I can accurately take your poll. It doesn't make much sense to compare 2 six years old to a one year old. I see where you are going with RF is safer, but unless you have a 6 year old RF I can't really give you my answer. To me it seems more logical to compare the 3 six year olds. The one in just a seat belt, the one in the MA FF, and the one in the booster seats.

The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.

hautemama83
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:57 PM

I give you credit on the very clever post, BUT we FF. For our family it works better, and yes I already know all about ERF.  

MommaBunch84
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:02 PM

bump

I'm Ashley! I'm 25 & married to my high school sweetheart Chris. Together for 8 1/2 yrs now. We have 2 1/2 yr old blue eyed, blonde curly haired fraternal twin boys, Mason & Connor. Who Rear Faced to the Max & now will be Harnessed to the Max! I am a SAHM and a proud Child Safety Passenger Advocate (CPSA). Have car seat questions? PM me or join the Car Seat Safety Group HERE.

tabi_cat1023
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:02 PM

I would prefer to keep my child RFing..no matter the size its safer.  NOt always the easiest choice, but even a 6 year old is safer RFing.  Adults are safer RFing actually.

jkrew
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:05 PM

Well I know that rear facing is safer for EVERYONE but obviously that is not possible so for my kids if they are under 3 and 35 its rear facing.

hurleydoll18
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:06 PM

RF of course but it is safer for everyone.  If only we all could face that way...lol. 

jrp0606
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:09 PM

Quoting aviatorswife:

I'm not sure I can accurately take your poll. It doesn't make much sense to compare 2 six years old to a one year old. I see where you are going with RF is safer, but unless you have a 6 year old RF I can't really give you my answer. To me it seems more logical to compare the 3 six year olds. The one in just a seat belt, the one in the MA FF, and the one in the booster seats.

OK we can do that

I'm Jessi, 28 year old SAHM to one crazy three year old Austin, currently harnessed in a Britax Frontier.  I'm a Child Passanger Safety Technician (CPST).  We only get one chance in a motor vehicle accidents, the decisions you make can save your childs life.  To find out more follow me here.

FaerieMommie23
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:11 PM

Yeah, I cant vote when its not an accurate comparison. If you want to ERF thats your own buisness and if I want to FF thats my buisness too. I think some mother just take things way too overboard when it comes to safety. I give it another 10 years and we're gonna be pushing to have children in carseats until they're 18 because its just not safe otherwise!

R.I.P Uncle Bruce

n03z07l08
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:23 PM

Was there a video of a highback booster? Is that any different than the one with no back or not?

GOD you carseat people are giving me nightmares..I guess thats a good thing though.  

jrp0606
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:31 PM

Quoting n03z07l08:

Was there a video of a highback booster? Is that any different than the one with no back or not?

GOD you carseat people are giving me nightmares..I guess thats a good thing though.  

The high back one is next to the low back one.

and yes there is a different the child is kept in the seat much better.  although its not a huge difference. to be honest.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)