• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TAX ACT??

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:07 PM
  • 4 Replies

Has anyone used it. Is it legit and free like it says. i want to use it this year instead of h&r block but i am nervous and don't want to get screwed. so all opinions are welcomed, thanks!

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
krains
by Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:13 PM

I used it a few years ago and then switched to H&R Block. I switched back to Tax Act this year because I didn't have to wait until the 18th like I did with H&R Block. It was free, but I had to pay $14.95 for state filing.

After comparing the two, I like the fact that H&R Block gives more information to keep for your records. The only record I got from TaxAct was the actual papers you send in with your taxes (1040 and the schedules and EITC form etc) With H&R Block, it broke down what you made, what deductions you had etc.

All in all, it does it's purpose and is free for federal. I'm just an anal paper junkie and I like my records I get with H&R Block.

honey27
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:23 PM

Quoting krains:

I used it a few years ago and then switched to H&R Block. I switched back to Tax Act this year because I didn't have to wait until the 18th like I did with H&R Block. It was free, but I had to pay $14.95 for state filing.

After comparing the two, I like the fact that H&R Block gives more information to keep for your records. The only record I got from TaxAct was the actual papers you send in with your taxes (1040 and the schedules and EITC form etc) With H&R Block, it broke down what you made, what deductions you had etc.

All in all, it does it's purpose and is free for federal. I'm just an anal paper junkie and I like my records I get with H&R Block.

thanks for the info, i need the paperwork too, for my financial aid for school so maybe h&r will be better for this year.

krains
by Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:56 PM

Tax Act had a spot toward the end of thequestions that asked about the FAFSA. It will ask you some questions and you can print out a guide for the FAFSA online. We didn't do it because it didn't pertain to us. I do think that was one thing Tax Act had that H&R didn't.

darcibeisheim
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2010 at 12:19 AM

Its legit. I just used H&R because thats who I used last year. I only do the free edition for my federal.

Many states have an option to efile state taxes on their website for free. Most of the time the site is simply the name of the state .gov. I have to file for Ohio and Indiana because we live in ohio and hubby works in Indiana and I do both for free online and have my refund dirct deposited.

Photobucket

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)