Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you expect...

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:14 PM
  • 24 Replies

Your kids to carry on your beliefs? A response in another post got me thinking, and I just wandered how many of you expect your kids to carry on your faith or how many don't care. Personally, I don't care, I believe that every one needs to find their own path. I wasn't raised  in a church and my believes are a little more earth based, my DH was raised in a church and has stuck to his faith, but we both want our girls to make up their own minds and we are not planning on shoving any one set of believes down their throat. We do plan on teaching them what we believe, but if they chose to pick something new to study so be it.

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:15 PM

I am very thankful to my parents for letting me form my own beliefs and I will do the same for my kids.

n03z07l08
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:18 PM

I haven't really decided what my beliefs are yet.....So I guess they can't carry them on. If my son wants to go to church I let him If not thats fine too. My mom went ballistic because i let him go to a mormon church with his friends-I dont see the harm. As long as the grow up to be happy,decent people.  

Se7enTh1rt3en
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:22 PM

DH and I are both Christian, and though we plan on raising our children in our faith, if one day they decide to explore their options, I will fully support them.  Everyone has to find his/her own way and do his/her own thing.

RheaF
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:23 PM

I expect my children to follow what they believe is true. We will however, raise them in our faith. If they choose another path yes I will be sad, and yes I will pray that they return to ours, but I will not disown them.

Train up a child in the way he should go;
even when he is old he will not depart from it.

I know this verse is very true. I was raised in the LDS church, Baptised, but when I was 17 I left the church. I have since come back. Even when I tried, I never could really deny it in my heart.

Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of our Lord Jesus Christ.    ~Proclamation, September 23,1995~

isra1986
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:23 PM

I don't expect it, but I really hope she does and I will do my best to teach her!

yummy_mommy89
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:24 PM

nope, i will let them be there own person and follow there own beliefs, ill love them unconditionally no mater what

LuvmySFSGT
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:24 PM

Honestly...I don't care.

I am Atheist...my husband was Christian...my daughter will be educated in religion and I will tell her my beliefs (as well as my husbands) if she asks...but she can make her own decisions.

joci2203
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:26 PM

Quoting SuperPickle:

I am very thankful to my parents for letting me form my own beliefs and I will do the same for my kids.

MikeysMom51108
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:26 PM

I expect my children to grow up and become individuals. They can choose to believe what they want. We will teach them our beliefs, but once they are old enough to decide for themselves, we will allow it.

misssy2000
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:26 PM

yep!

Quoting RheaF:

I expect my children to follow what they believe is true. We will however, raise them in our faith. If they choose another path yes I will be sad, and yes I will pray that they return to ours, but I will not disown them.

Train up a child in the way he should go;
even when he is old he will not depart from it.

I know this verse is very true. I was raised in the LDS church, Baptised, but when I was 17 I left the church. I have since come back. Even when I tried, I never could really deny it in my heart.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)