Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you tip your server?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:19 PM
  • 172 Replies

I was reading the post about tipping hair stylists and I started wondering how much you tip your server?

I wait tables at a restaurant and it astounds me how many people think it's optional.

Just a few things to think about when you are tipping:

*Servers make on average about $2.13/per hour and all of that is taxed so alot of us get a blank pay check.

*When you tip a server, all of that money does not go him/her. We have to tip out (give a certain percentage of our food sales) to any combination of bartenders, bussers, hosts, etc. So if you tip NOTHING we still have to pay those people. So not only are you not paying us fo the work we just did, you are taking money out of our pockets.

*If there is a problem with your food, i.e. over/undercooked, over seasoned, etc. that is not your servers fault and they should not be penalized for it. WE DO NOT COOK THE FOOD.

*If you pay with a gift card, TIP ON THE AMOUNT BEFORE THE GIFT CARD WAS TAKEN OFF. For example, if your meal was $50 dollars and you have a gift card for $40 and you bill is now $10 dollars. Tip 15-20 percent of 50, NOT TEN. If the gift card was for fifty and your bill was zero, would you not tip?

*And for all of you moms of young children: If your child's meal ends up on the floor beneath them, tip a little extra for the clean up. I know they have a hard time eating without being mess, but that's a headache to clean up and if you aren't gonna do it let your server know you aren't oblivious to the mountain of food under your child's highchair.

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaSince08
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:22 PM

I typically tip based off of the quality of the service. I used to be a server. I know what its like to get stiffed. I try to tip well, but thats why we don't go out much. LOL I save money by actually cooking.

pregnancy

Proud Marine wife.

Wifey0713

I am curious about Ordering takeout from a resturant. when you pick it up from the bar tender... Should you tip then?

but i totally agree with what u said about.

cmb121906

I tip according to service. Great service gets btw 25-30%. I ALWAYS ALWAYS clean up the table and the floor. I never leave a mess behind, it's just common courtesy imo.

One thing I have noticed, any Chinese rest we go to, they shoo me out the door basically if they catch me picking up my childs mess on the floor. LMAO, I have no idea why. It never fails.

This is what your admission looks like behind closed doors!

A lifetime of abuse and lockdown

Click for more info!

allens_mom06
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:25 PM

Quoting Wifey0713:

I am curious about Ordering takeout from a resturant. when you pick it up from the bar tender... Should you tip then?

Yes. You should tip them something. Especially if it's a large order. In the case of our restaurant, the bartender handles the take-out orders. Which means she has her bar and also the tables in the bar to take care of. She has to leave the bar and to the kitchen and pack everything and make sure it's right before you take it.

Wifey0713
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:27 PM

I always tip them! i was just curious if it was expected or not! ive never been a bartender :) but my orders are always very small, sometimes just breadsticks lol.

Quoting allens_mom06:

Quoting Wifey0713:

Yes. You should tip them something. Especially if it's a large order. In the case of our restaurant, the bartender handles the take-out orders. Which means she has her bar and also the tables in the bar to take care of. She has to leave the bar and to the kitchen and pack everything and make sure it's right before you take it.

DraytonsMomma
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:27 PM

Very good post! I am also a server. Tipping is how i support my family. Another thing is when you tip on a credit card , we don`t get all of it. A small percentage is taken from the credit card company.

allens_mom06
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:29 PM

Quoting cmb121906:

I tip according to service. Great service gets btw 25-30%. I ALWAYS ALWAYS clean up the table and the floor. I never leave a mess behind, it's just common courtesy imo.

One thing I have noticed, any Chinese rest we go to, they shoo me out the door basically if they catch me picking up my childs mess on the floor. LMAO, I have no idea why. It never fails.

i really appreciate that you at least try. one night after one of my tables left, i was vacuuming underneath and found a whole grilled chese sandwhich on the floor. and there is no way someone dropped that without noticing. unless the kid did it because they just didn't want to eat it.

koolest_mom_of4
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:29 PM
I always tip 20 % to 30% no matter what .

dennysgirl07
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:30 PM

A blow job :)

www.Myspace.com/Holygoodness

anasmith123
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:31 PM

I am a server at a local dinner, i dont mind if kids leave a mess in my section as long as the parents tip to compensate for me having to scrap pancakes off the floor.

BUT, parents dont let you kids be rude to your server, we are human to. If you allow your little one to be rude to a server as a child then they will probably be rude to there servers most of there life. and you dont want your precious little one ingesting all that spit do you? J/K.................maybe........................ahahahahahha

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)