Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Tax Question form 8379 injured spouse form......How long??

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 9:01 PM
  • 14 Replies

Ok. My husband and I filed our taxes via H&R Block. We got the rapid refund on the Emerald card as we do every year. We got part of the refund and was due to get the rest in a day or two. Well that did not happen. I had an old student loan that I opened while we were split up 6 years ago and was attempting to go back to school. I called the # I was told to call to make sure thats why it was on hold. I had paid on this loan since quitting but not lately. I have not worked in 3 1/2 years. When I found out the money was being held by Sallie Mae I called them and told them what happened. The gentleman on the phone said DH is not responsible for my debt and advised us to file an 8379 Injured spouse form. He said since I have not worked technically it was DH's tax money b/c I did not contribute to the household funds. We got it filled out and mailed. Has anyone had any experience with this? How long did it take to get the money released?

by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 9:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CgWife2Will
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 9:05 PM

I do this every year! he works i dont. and he owes back child support (we pay alomost 900 a month to her for ONE kid so i dont want to hear anything. jsut the bitch waited 3 years to finally get the test after we paid 3 times for her to do it) and so i do it and i claim 3 dependents and i get that money back. the rest goes to her. only 3200 is owed back so after this year its done and her child support. mind you we have him 6 months out of the fuckin year i hate CA!!! I had to wait for it to be approved last year and it took 6 weeks....

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
CafeMom Tickers
CafeMom Tickers
ommy47
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 9:06 PM

I have.. Student loans were taken out in my name before I was 18 (Such a joy let me tell you when you did not do it ) Hubby and I file it every yr. I have never filed it the way you have but filed it with the taxes. We e-file and it normally adds another wk or two. We always get our full amount back

fwkitten1981
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2010 at 9:39 PM

Bump for more help. I had to file the paper after my taxes b/c I was unsure if they would catch it but they did.

fwkitten1981
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2010 at 7:07 AM

Never really got an answer so bumping again

angelachristine
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2010 at 4:23 AM

bump b/c i want to know too

zekesgirl
by on Feb. 9, 2010 at 2:14 PM

8 weeks...

oboe_chik
by on Feb. 9, 2010 at 2:17 PM

You probably won't get EVERYTHING back because you are still claimed as an exemption on the tax return and that part is going to go to the student loan. All the injured spouse form does is have them figure out which part of the money is who's and they will give you everything but your portion. It could take a while depending on how busy they are.

blenderbd
by on Feb. 10, 2010 at 11:46 PM

Same thing happened to me last year.  My old student loan and I don't work, my husband does.  Anyway he received the FULL amount he was owed.  The IRS didn't deduct anything for me.  Also, It took 71/2 to 8 weeks to receive the refund once we sent in the Injured Spouse form.  Go to irs.gov and search Injured Spouse.  It tells you 6 to 8 weeks.  Good Luck! 

cindyedgar
by on Feb. 26, 2010 at 12:30 PM

Thanks for posting on this issues, I just found myself in the same predicament. Times have been real tough lately and we were expecting our refund to help us out of some debt and of course the IRS took all our refund. I still have to go through the process of filing a 8379 and attempted this past week to finish and I'm ready to pull my hair out...lol I'm probably making this more difficult than what it is. Also does any one know if we will recieve the child credit back since it really had nothing to do with the offset of one of the spouses?

tattooed-mommy
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:28 PM

Quoting blenderbd:

Same thing happened to me last year.  My old student loan and I don't work, my husband does.  Anyway he received the FULL amount he was owed.  The IRS didn't deduct anything for me.  Also, It took 71/2 to 8 weeks to receive the refund once we sent in the Injured Spouse form.  Go to irs.gov and search Injured Spouse.  It tells you 6 to 8 weeks.  Good Luck! 

So since I dont work and I owe the child support, They wont take it out of my husband income, even if we filed joint. we sent in the injured spouse form. Hes the only one that work and supports us. nothing of the taxes is mine. Thanks

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)