Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Is being poor an excuse for a dirty/messy house?

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2010 at 10:19 AM
  • 109 Replies

Poll

Question: Does being poor give you an excuse to have a dirty house?

Options:

yes...and that holds true for the people I know

yes....but that doesn't hold true for the people I know

no...but it does hold true for the people I know

no...and iot doesn't hold true for the people that I know

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 262

View Results

My husband and I were talking about mothers day gifts for his mom. I want to get her a maid for a day to come in and clean her house. Her house isn't messy but it's very dirty....but no one seems to care. My husband says they don;t care because they grew up very poor. When I met him they didn't have heat and food in the house was very hard to come by. Eating hamburgers was a treat( and anyone in their 30s knows that 20 years ago hamburger was crazy cheap).

So anyway, they are no longer poor. His dad has a great job now and with all 6 of the 7 kids grown the expenses are less.

but their house is still very dirty.

My husband thinks that being poor is an excuse for having a dirty house..he says poor people are just different with different priorities(Ive always been working class so being poor is not something I've ever been through). So we started talking about people we know...and it seems to hold true for them too. the poorer the friend the dirtier their house is.

So I guess this is a 2 part question....1. does that hold true for you and the people you know? and 2. is being poor an excuse for a dirty house?

Today I can say I am PROUD to be from Massachusetts!!

Hey Mr. President....Can. You. Hear. Us. NOW!!!!!

by on Feb. 1, 2010 at 10:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anetrnlov
by on Feb. 1, 2010 at 10:21 AM

No it doesn't hold true for the people I know and no, it isn't an excuse.

Trisha-Faye
by on Feb. 1, 2010 at 10:22 AM

didn't vote..cause messy and dirty don't necessarily go together. 

Being poor can be an excuse for messy..if you are working long hours and have a small house with a lot of people living there...

being dirty?  different people have different standards of *dirty*... being poor is no excuse for a filthy house..that is just laziness..but a dirty one?  again depending on much the person is working (and for what pay..if minimum wage then even if working a lot they can't afford to pay someone to clean for them)..

mom2four1978
by on Feb. 1, 2010 at 10:22 AM

Being poor does not equal dirty. I grew up in a town where if your household income was 20,000.00 a year. Then you were the rich people in town. There were clean people and dirty people. Just like everywhere else. So by the logic that poor=dirty, wouldnt most of the town been disgusting?

~ LIZZY~

To find out what all the fuss is about click the heart:

gardenchic
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2010 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this

a dirty home to me is just pure laziness, has nothing to do with being poor.

pasteeater
by on Feb. 1, 2010 at 10:23 AM

I don't think it is.  But I've heard people say "We're poor so that's why our house is dirty" sometimes even on here!  But people I know that are poor do not have dirty houses.  I think it's up to whoever is living in the house.  People who use that excuse are just really lazy.  We're not rich by any stretch of the imagination but our house isn't dirty.  The I'm poor excuse does not hold water.  Just my thoughts!

Don't Say You Don't Have Enough Time. You have exactly the same numbers of hour per day that were given to Helen Keller, Louis Pasueru, Micelangelo, Mother Teresa, Leonardo Da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson and Albert Einstein.
o0gone0o
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2010 at 10:24 AM

Generally poor people seem to have dirtier houses around here.  My thought on this is back in the day poor parents had to work to keep a roof over their heads.  Which mean sometimes very little time spent at home.  Add 3 or 4 kids that are home alone.  You get messes.  Now those kids grow up and they don't know the first thing about keeping a house clean. They don't know the best way to clean things efficiently, nor are they use to the routine of picking up their things and putting them back where they belong. 

I have met extremly neat freakish poor people as well though, and some extremely disgusting wealthy people.  Like cat and dog poop and pee all over the house.  So some people break the mold but typically the poor were dirty.  And then those lack of cleaning skills get passed on to the next generation. 

imthatgirl728
by on Feb. 1, 2010 at 10:24 AM

I've heard it on here too...and find that this holds true often in those "show your clean/dity house" posts.

Quoting pasteeater:

I don't think it is.  But I've heard people say "We're poor so that's why our house is dirty" sometimes even on here!  But people I know that are poor do not have dirty houses.  I think it's up to whoever is living in the house.  People who use that excuse are just really lazy.  We're not rich by any stretch of the imagination but our house isn't dirty.  The I'm poor excuse does not hold water.  Just my thoughts!

Today I can say I am PROUD to be from Massachusetts!!

Hey Mr. President....Can. You. Hear. Us. NOW!!!!!

lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2010 at 10:25 AM

I couldnt vote.There was"" NO other.Peoples houses are dirty because people dont take pride in it.They are Lazy slobs IMHO. I truly find no excuse for a dirty home UNLESS you are paralyzed or have some other health issue that prevents you from cleaning.If thats the case you need a housekeeper.

Surround yourself with people that add to your life not subtract from it.

TinaN64
by on Feb. 1, 2010 at 10:27 AM

No... and it does not hold true for MOST people I know.

I know people who are dirt poor... I will sneak and leave money and food at their home.  But their homes, while shabby and worn, are CLEAN.  I mean, eat off the floors clean.  Most of them have cleaner homes than I do.

mrsjones2207
by on Feb. 1, 2010 at 10:27 AM

Quoting gardenchic:

a dirty home to me is just pure laziness, has nothing to do with being poor.

agreed.

My mom was a single mom at 18 working at McdDonalds to support me growing up and our house was NEVER dirty...heck It was never messy...I wonder how she did it...I have 3 and a SAHM and I clean like crazy everyday after my kids.

Mylesbaby boyMykailahbaby girlMykahbaby boy

Distributor of Young Living Essential Oils and Supplements

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)