Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Public assistance and filing for taxes?

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2010 at 12:36 PM
  • 12 Replies

I saw someone mention they were on public assistance and still filed for taxes even though they themselves made nothing last year. Is that really something you can do? I'm curious, I'm not bashing, I just wanted to know. :) PLEASE DON'T GIVE NEGATIVE OPINIONS! I just want a real answer lol.. no emotion based ones!

Carah

Proud lesbian mama to Braedan and Noah

Girlfriend to Emily (AKA the boys' EmdyMom!)

by on Feb. 3, 2010 at 12:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
godsgirl26
by ♥Char2theMaine♥ on Feb. 3, 2010 at 12:39 PM

i was told if u are on PA u cannot file. 

indianamom1985
by Gold Member on Feb. 3, 2010 at 12:41 PM

Only if haven't worked all yr as far as I know....... when I filed in 2009 for 2008 I was on PA and Still got a little taxes back........... I don't know about what she is asking tho...........

Quoting godsgirl26:

i was told if u are on PA u cannot file. 

SUPERBOWL XLIV WINNERS!!!!!

kelly_d_m
by on Feb. 3, 2010 at 12:42 PM

bump

Ravensong
by on Feb. 3, 2010 at 12:43 PM

I don't think so. I got emergency assistance for one month at the beginning of the year, and I make under the income requirement so I cannot file.

MzSeXyC
by on Feb. 3, 2010 at 12:44 PM

im not sure i understand lol.

in order to file taxes, you would have had to work and earn some type of income, right? so im not sure how someone can file taxes, without making any money throughout the year.

if you work on are on PA, you can file taxes and get a refund. 

MamatoNandB
by on Feb. 3, 2010 at 12:46 PM

I thought it was someone giving wrong info.. I couldn't see how that would work.. the government giving money back after the money you had was already from them, kwim? I AM NOT bashing, I was just curious :)

Carah

Proud lesbian mama to Braedan and Noah

Girlfriend to Emily (AKA the boys' EmdyMom!)

AmyMiLo
by on Feb. 3, 2010 at 1:30 PM

My daughter is on state insurance which is PA & we filed. My sister is on food stamps & all 4 of her kids are on state insurance. But DH works & so does my sister so IDK. There are write offs for having kids.

ShadowRaven
by on Feb. 3, 2010 at 1:34 PM

If the ONLY income that you had all year was from PA, then I'm not quite sure how that would work. But if you had/have a job (even if it's just part-time) and collect PA, then yes you can stil file a return.

TinaN64
by on Feb. 3, 2010 at 1:35 PM

Yes.  Every US citizen can file taxes.  A lot of people on PA get money back because they didn't work.  It's a little hand up for them.  Most people on PA are good people, and this is a way that they can get a little "extra" for a change. 
I'll be honest, I've complained about it.  But, for the most part, it's given to  people who put it to good use.  I think everyone deserves some money that they can just piss away any way they want, something extra.  Which is why people on PA should file taxes.  The worst that can happen is you won't get a big refund.

I've said some things... But, after thinking about it, I have to say, I was wrong.   I remember when we NEEDED our refund and we'd get to take the girls "power shopping".... One day a year that they could buy what they wanted without looking at price tags first.  Everyone should be able to do that.

northernmommy
by Jen on Feb. 3, 2010 at 1:37 PM

when i used to be on cash assistance they would send you a paper detailing all the cash assistance you got for the year because it needed to be filed with your taxes. but i also worked at the same time so i don't know how it works if you don't have a job.

www.my-calorie-counter.com     The webs free Calorie Guide
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)