Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

are you qualified to homeschool your kids?

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2010 at 1:28 PM
  • 219 Replies

I have a question about homeschooling. This is in no way meant to bash or pass judgment, I am just curious. What makes a non teacher certified parent qualified to properly teach their children. I am a teacher and I know that it takes a lot of work to learn the curriculum for various grade levels. Do you ever feel as if your child is going to miss any important learning opportunities.

by on Feb. 11, 2010 at 1:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anetrnlov
by on Feb. 11, 2010 at 1:30 PM

What important learning opportunities?

We use the state mandated curriculum as a guideline.  We also use the curriculum from areas close to use that are known for having excellent schools as a guideline in his teaching.

I have an unlimited amount of resources to teach my child.  I am also able to cater to his learning style as well as his strengths and weaknesses.

PrettyInPink09
by on Feb. 11, 2010 at 1:31 PM

I've always wondered the same thing. 

http://www.cafemom.com/group/109030

anetrnlov
by on Feb. 11, 2010 at 1:36 PM

I should also mention that there are literally thousands of pre-made curriculums available to parents.

I can also present you with many articles about studies done on homeschoolers, how they test (on average) against public school studies as well as how they preform in college.

zjonzie
by on Feb. 11, 2010 at 1:50 PM

i dont feel im qualified.  i have thought of it, but its not for us.  the math alone would kill me lol.  id like him to get a better education than i feel i can give him.  however i have seen some kick ass moms that do a great job!

monsters_momma
by on Feb. 11, 2010 at 1:50 PM

I am qualified to teach my kids. I have a college education. I also know that the curriculum available to homeschoolers vastly vary by state. Some states allow parents to create their own curriculum. The requirements also vary by state. However, with the number of resources available, anyone with a high school diploma can easily educate their children. If you truly are a teacher, then you know that a large amount of the courses you took in college have nothing to do with education of children. Does that make you over qualified?  What you teach is regulated by the school district in your area. What homeschoolers teach is also regulated, but they have the freedom to customize their curriculum more than you do.  You teach large groups of children, while homeschoolers have one on one time with their kids. Honestly, home schooled children get a better education than children in public schools simply because they have more attention paid to them. I do not believe anyone without a high school education should be teaching anyone. Just my opinion.

zjonzie
by on Feb. 11, 2010 at 1:54 PM

i know i could learn and do the job if i wanted, but i dont feel i have the patience.  however after this school year with his 6th grade teacher, anyone could have done a better job (she stresses the kids out). 

Quoting monsters_momma:

I am qualified to teach my kids. I have a college education. I also know that the curriculum available to homeschoolers vastly vary by state. Some states allow parents to create their own curriculum. The requirements also vary by state. However, with the number of resources available, anyone with a high school diploma can easily educate their children. If you truly are a teacher, then you know that a large amount of the courses you took in college have nothing to do with education of children. Does that make you over qualified?  What you teach is regulated by the school district in your area. What homeschoolers teach is also regulated, but they have the freedom to customize their curriculum more than you do.  You teach large groups of children, while homeschoolers have one on one time with their kids. Honestly, home schooled children get a better education than children in public schools simply because they have more attention paid to them. I do not believe anyone without a high school education should be teaching anyone. Just my opinion.

potterpeaches
by on Feb. 11, 2010 at 1:59 PM

What makes a homeschooling parents qualified to school their children is:

* They know their children and what their needs are.

* They have the ability to provide one on one tuition.

* They have extensive on the job experience of early years learning that can't be taught in college.

* They have the ability to provide a healthy lunch that could put some public school menu to shame.

While most homeschoolers don't have teaching qualifications, the above qualities are just as important, if not more so. I don't homeschool myself, but I am thinking about it and I've done extensive research. There are advantages and disadvantages to traditional school and home schooling. Whatever I decide, I'll always support parents rights to choose what is best for their child's education.

lvnmylif
by on Feb. 11, 2010 at 2:06 PM

On that same note what makes you qualified to teach every child you come across.  Do you tailor you curriculum to their learning curve or do you shove all of them in a square because that's what the state tells you to do.  I am assuming you are a mother being that you are on cafe mom.  DId you lose your ability to function above the brain stem the day you had children?  I am guessing the answer is no because you are a "qualified teacher".    Home schooling is not for everyone but the classroom is in it's own right not for every child.  BTW your post was not offensive at all *gag*.

monsters_momma
by on Feb. 11, 2010 at 2:07 PM

I have noticed that when teachers get stressed or overwhelmed, they tend to stress out their students. Homeschooling is not for everyone. I do not homeschool because I am too busy with my own education. However, I am highly involved with my children's education and I am the first person to inform a teacher when something is being done wrong. I homeschooled my kids for the first few years and They are ahead because of it. I will fight to the death to make sure my kids get the education they deserve. I respect the teachers who teach, but some are overworked and under educated.

Quoting zjonzie:

i know i could learn and do the job if i wanted, but i dont feel i have the patience.  however after this school year with his 6th grade teacher, anyone could have done a better job (she stresses the kids out). 

Quoting monsters_momma:

prego7386
by on Feb. 11, 2010 at 2:08 PM

i do think its weird that a professional teacher has to go to school so long to do that job but a parent can just opt to do it...if its that easy then why cant professional teachers just walk in an say they are teachers now and skip the schools they have to go to?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)