Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What is covered by SNAP?

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2010 at 11:37 PM
  • 12 Replies

My friend just got SNAP benefits and doesn't know what is covered. We've looked online and it says food, seeds and plants that produce food.

So I've told her anything edible, not things like paper towels, soap, toothpaste..etc. But I knew nothing about seeds and produce plants- has anyone used their benefits for those things?

This got her interested in gardening her fruits and veggies, does walmart accept SNAP for their plants?

Also, I know some things that are still food items that you still pay a tax on, and I know some things may not be covered that are still food items. Aren't these like Coke? What are some items like these?

We know its not premade hot foods, fast food etc.

She's here waiting for replies so quick answers if anyone knows.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
by on Feb. 14, 2010 at 11:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommyofderek
by on Feb. 14, 2010 at 11:38 PM

What is SNAP?

hatinnd
by on Feb. 14, 2010 at 11:39 PM

Never heard of it.  Must be something new?

MsDean
by on Feb. 14, 2010 at 11:39 PM

Quoting mommyofderek:

What is SNAP?

Me in a nutshell: *Married* *love reading* *hate going to theaters* *wine drinker* *SAHM*  *sometimes call my kids by the wrong name* *mom of 3 brats*

torttia
by on Feb. 14, 2010 at 11:40 PM

is it like food stamps?

BIMOM21
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2010 at 11:40 PM

SNAP is foodstamps.

Quoting RoguesMommy:

My friend just got SNAP benefits and doesn't know what is covered. We've looked online and it says food, seeds and plants that produce food.

So I've told her anything edible, not things like paper towels, soap, toothpaste..etc. But I knew nothing about seeds and produce plants- has anyone used their benefits for those things?

This got her interested in gardening her fruits and veggies, does walmart accept SNAP for their plants?

Also, I know some things that are still food items that you still pay a tax on, and I know some things may not be covered that are still food items. Aren't these like Coke? What are some items like these?

We know its not premade hot foods, fast food etc.

She's here waiting for replies so quick answers if anyone knows.

unclemomma

mine cover everything except, acohol...energy drinks

RoguesMommy

SNAP is foodstamps. They renamed it this year.

davidjames07
by on Feb. 14, 2010 at 11:41 PM

I know it's something new but I honestly have no idea what you can or can't buy with it. I've only seen the posters at the Dollar Stores

Decker
by New Member on Feb. 14, 2010 at 11:43 PM

you can buy anything edible, just not cooked, and you cant buy alcohol.

hatinnd
by on Feb. 14, 2010 at 11:44 PM

Quoting davidjames07:

I know it's something new but I honestly have no idea what you can or can't buy with it. I've only seen the posters at the Dollar Stores

Totally off topic.  I had to laugh at the pic.  Me and sis used to take "rides" in the dryer!!  I never got a good ride, cause she was too little to give a hard enough push to turn the drum..

I was born too late....    I woulda been a damn good hippie!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)