Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Who pays tanf back to the state if the custodial parent becomes non custodial

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2010 at 11:59 AM
  • 15 Replies

Like the non  custodial parent has the child now.Does that parent still pay it back or does the parent who used to have custody pay it back?Just curious how it works.The dshs office etc aren't good at calling back about questions right away.

by on Feb. 17, 2010 at 11:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
prestonjohn
by on Feb. 17, 2010 at 1:10 PM

it would be the parent that had the child and collected the tanf,,why would the parent that now has the child pay it back,,they arent the one that benefitted from it

shorty56154
by on Feb. 17, 2010 at 2:37 PM

Quoting prestonjohn:

it would be the parent that had the child and collected the tanf,,why would the parent that now has the child pay it back,,they arent the one that benefitted from it

that's what I would think.But i know if the mom  got tanf and kept custody the other parent would pay it back.Not sure why they do that.

kk_bella
by on Feb. 17, 2010 at 2:39 PM

It depends on a few things. Is the father on the birth certificate? Were they married? Is there a CS order in place?

prestonjohn
by on Feb. 17, 2010 at 5:42 PM

I think it is paid thru child support

Quoting shorty56154:

Quoting prestonjohn:

that's what I would think.But i know if the mom  got tanf and kept custody the other parent would pay it back.Not sure why they do that.

coug7099
by Ruby Member on Feb. 17, 2010 at 5:45 PM

Since when does anyone pay TANF back?

heatherann0221
by on Feb. 17, 2010 at 7:09 PM

if you are a single parent who receives it, the state goes after the other parent to pay it back. I think the basic reasoning is that if the non-custodial parent was paying child support to the custodial parent, then the custodial parent wouldn't need the welfare. So since they are on welfare, the other parent has to pay it. At least that's how it works where I live. That way you can't receive both at the same time.

Quoting coug7099:

valentines-hearts-1.gif picture by amayabrianna

heatherann0221
by on Feb. 17, 2010 at 7:10 PM

whoops, I might be wrong. Is there a difference between cash assistance and TANF? I don't know

shorty56154
by on Feb. 17, 2010 at 11:07 PM

tanf is cash assistance.I do know you can be with the father and the state will go after him if you got tanf.Like when you don't live together.Because if you lived together and both aren't working. You might not be able to get tanf.Plus they'd be supporting their kid.They still consider it being non custodial if you don't live together .Even if you're not a single parent, they still treat it like you are.

shorty56154
by on Feb. 17, 2010 at 11:09 PM

Quoting coug7099:

In WA, they make you pay it back or you can get your license suspended and eventually go to jail.

shorty56154
by on Feb. 17, 2010 at 11:11 PM

Quoting kk_bella:

It depends on a few things. Is the father on the birth certificate? Were they married? Is there a CS order in place?

Well if they were married, they both would have gotten tanf.There wouldn't be a non custodial parent.Since they'd both live together.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN