Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Manners... do they matter?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:24 AM
  • 32 Replies

Topic of conversation with my friend was if manners really matter in our society. My answer is yes and my kids are being taught manners. I don't mean your basic please and thank you either. Am I the only one who teaches these things?

Asking to be excused from the dinner table

Not starting eating until everyone is sitting and been served

No elbows on the table

No hats worn in the house

Holding doors open for people

How to introduce themselves properly

When they go to the kitchen to get something asking if other people want something

Offering their friends a drink etc

Saying 'Parden' not What? when you haven't heard or understood something said to you

Thanking the person who cooked

Asking things to be passed at the table not reaching across

Hmm sure there are more but what manners do you teach your kids??

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
beautisticaware
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:27 AM

Sure manners are very important.  My kids use to have the best manners.  That was when I was a stay at home mom and had time to enforce them.  Now, I am not at home as much and it's just not the same.

MrsApple
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:30 AM

We're the same way,with teaching our daughter manners and yes we agree that they are very important!!

misssy2000
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:30 AM

Wow, not all that stuff just yet. My kids say please, thank you, and excuse me, and your welcome but many of those I dont think are necessary til they are older. My oldest is three.

N/a

Not starting eating until everyone is sitting and been served

I dont see the point of that one

No elbows on the table

will te4ach them that one, althought I dont really even know why that is manners

No hats worn in the house

ahhh dont think I would care,

Holding doors open for people

Of course, especially my boys

How to introduce themselves properly

yep, will teach that. We already teach her how to greet people

When they go to the kitchen to get something asking if other people want something

not so sure about that one yet

Offering their friends a drink etc

yes, as they get older

Saying 'Parden' not What? when you haven't heard or understood something said to you

not sure about htis one

Thanking the person who cooked

they kinda already do that when I hand them there plates they say thanks

Asking things to be passed at the table not reaching across

yes

Hmm sure there are more but what manners do you teach your kids??

PhotoMama88
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:32 AM

My 4 yr old(bday is tomarrow :)!!) is being taught the same things you wrote. Manners are VERY important IMO, and I will raise respectful, well mannered men. 

KT9105
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:32 AM

Yes manners absolutely matter.  Maybe not to the extreme but basic manners - yes please, no thank you, yes ma'am, no ma'am, yes sir, no sir.  Excuse me instead of "huh?" when you don't understand, and general consideration of others are vital.  And especially saying excuse me instead of plowing into someone or pushing them out of the way in a public place.

Too many children are raised without manners anymore and apparently it's been going on for awhile because I tend to encounter way more rude people than those with actual manners.

eyeheartsin
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:36 AM

yes they matter and it's sad some people don't enforce them.

vintage_pearl4
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:38 AM

Manners are very important...to some of us.  Personally I think most people are lacking in that area.

Keep in mind my DD is only three, but we are trying lol!

She says please, thank you, and bless you.

She will ask before leaving the table most of the time, but that's one we need to work on.  She won't sit still for very long.

She eats with her fork!!!  Yeah for the small battles....

She also thanks me for cooking, tells me it's "licious" and puts her own plates in the sink after she's finished. 

When she's mastered these we'll move on to others.

beadingmom17
by Rachel on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:39 AM

Well, my girls are still pretty little (3 and 18 mos), but they are being taught some of those same things. 
My oldest loves to hold the door for people,
they both must say "please" and "thank you" if they want something,
we say "bless you" when someone sneezes,
no toys at the table,
elbows off the table,
we don't eat until everyone is sitting down and we've prayed (unless it's a case where I'm waiting for something to come out of the oven, then we'll pray, but I won't sit down right away),
they offer their friends a drink or a snack,
they ask for things to be passed to them unless they can reach it (which isn't much, lol),
and they're being taught to be courteous and try everything on their plate (unless they're allergic to it) out of respect for the cook. 
My oldest loves to clear any dishes that are done with :) 
There are other manners but I can't think of them...I've been complemented on how well mannered both of my girls are :) 

I'm not militant about it and they're allowed to be kids, but I will gently remind them to be polite if they forget (like last night...my oldest asked my mom for a drink and when my mom got her a cup of water, she forgot to say "thank you", so I said "Sarah, what do we tell Mema for getting your water?"  and she said "Oops *giggle*, sorry!  Thank you, Mema, getting my water!")

Msgme
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:40 AM

I try to enforce some manners  the normal please and thank you,  excuse me (esp when trying to get my attention)  Theres more i'm sure of it just can't think of them at the moment.  i wasnt really sure I was getting thru to my  7 year old  till yesterday.  She was at her friends house and she was teaching her friend good manners.    When she came home jen's , mom was telling me all the wonderful things tori was teaching her friend.  I wasnt really sure it was tori she was talking about.   Then today I  had the girls here and jen is the type of kid when she wants your attention she starts grabbing and jumping to get your attention.  But she walks up to my husband and stands at attention and said Excuse me Mr  Patty  (his nic name) tori's dad can i have your attention for a moment?

RmeWifey01
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:41 AM

Quoting acaisha:

Topic of conversation with my friend was if manners really matter in our society. My answer is yes and my kids are being taught manners. I don't mean your basic please and thank you either. Am I the only one who teaches these things?

Not starting eating until everyone is sitting and been served   dh is gone and I don't eat until the toddlers are done

No elbows on the table  not yet

No hats worn in the house yes on this as well as shirts are to be worn in the kitchen/dining room....no toplessness in theeating area

Holding doors open for people  yes

How to introduce themselves properly  yes

When they go to the kitchen to get something asking if other people want something  they are toddlers and need to stay out of my kitchen!!!

Offering their friends a drink etc  me-mommy does this...no toddlers allowed to touch the liquids

Saying 'Parden' not What? when you haven't heard or understood something said to you   no

Thanking the person who cooked their daddy does when he is home

Asking things to be passed at the table not reaching across No, mommy fixes the plates and brings them to the table, for now.

Hmm sure there are more but what manners do you teach your kids?? Yes Sir/No Sir (or Ma'am) and of course the standard please, thank you, no thank you, excuse me. Also to help elders with things like picing up their yards, carrying stuff, and when they get older- to shovel an elder's driveway and such.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)