Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Maury Show Makes Me Wonder: How Do People Control Teenagers?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:34 AM
  • 39 Replies

I have just recently begun watching this show.  One show is about a mother worried that her 15 year old is pregnant for the second time.  The mother has no control over the daughter.

What legal means do parents have to control their teenagers?

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
futureshock
by Emerald Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:46 AM

Anyone?

HaydensMommy007
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:47 AM

you mean, like can the parents force the girl to get an abortion?

preciouschild
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:49 AM

Almost no rights at all. Here in NY you can spank only on the bottom. If you swear at them they can have you arrested. I have a preteen and have just recently started therapy because I need to learn how they want me to handle her.

acaisha
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:50 AM

Honestly? It's been my experience that you don't. I went through this with my 14 year old. He was being horrible at home, not doing what I needed him to do etc. At one point my husband almost had to remove him from my house. I was huge pregnant we had our toddler and the situation was getting out of hand. I called the police to ask if they could remove him if needed and they told me no make your husband do it with 'reasonable' force. They told me to tell him to go to the hospital if he needed a place to stay and they would call social services. When I talked to Social Services they basically told me they can do nothing. The police also won't bring a child home who has run away here. I went through that too. Pretty much by the time they are teenagers you just have to hope for the best!!!

My friend recently gave me a magnet on my fridge says "raising teenagers is like trying to nail jello to a tree" honestly I think nailing jello might me easier and less frustrating LOL

DanaG70
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:53 AM

I think you have to teach them the values that you believe in way before they hit their teen years. I have 3 teens and a tween. Not one of my kids would dream of doing some of the crap that I hear about other teens. I let them know from the get go that if they respect me, I'll respect them. BUT that doesn't mean they get to walk all over me either.

Another thing. I am NOT my kids friend. I am their mom. I am here to teach them to live their life to the fullest. I am here to teach to respect others the way they want to be respected.

futureshock
by Emerald Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:30 AM

Quoting HaydensMommy007:

No, just simple things like, "Be home at midnight." and the teen says "No, I'll be home when I feel like it."

futureshock
by Emerald Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:32 AM

Quoting acaisha:

Honestly? It's been my experience that you don't. I went through this with my 14 year old. He was being horrible at home, not doing what I needed him to do etc. At one point my husband almost had to remove him from my house. I was huge pregnant we had our toddler and the situation was getting out of hand. I called the police to ask if they could remove him if needed and they told me no make your husband do it with 'reasonable' force. They told me to tell him to go to the hospital if he needed a place to stay and they would call social services. When I talked to Social Services they basically told me they can do nothing. The police also won't bring a child home who has run away here. I went through that too. Pretty much by the time they are teenagers you just have to hope for the best!!!

My friend recently gave me a magnet on my fridge says "raising teenagers is like trying to nail jello to a tree" honestly I think nailing jello might me easier and less frustrating LOL

That is scary.

perfectkitten
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:46 AM

WELL YOUR NOT GOING! That's exactly what I would say. I am lucky my teenager listens to me. I sat her down and just told her what I expected from her as a parent. Since she's a teenager now BTW. I told her as long as we have an open line of communication than we should have no problem. She is allowed to date and won't. By her choice. She told me that she wants to stay focused on school and get ready for college. I am proud of her. But I am sorry I am straying from the question. You have different avenues you can take with a child as they get older. Yes I know sometimes a older child/teenager wants to just push your buttons and that smart mouth too. The smart mouth my oldest DD still has it sometimes. You just have to try different methods. I wouldn't spank my teenager. What's the point? I wouldn't lay a hand on her. I would try talking first. If that didn't work than start taking privileges. If that doesn't work take the license if they have one. If that doesn't work than I would suggest talking to someone about it. There are more drastic stepsto take if need be and they involve law enforcement. If it came to that I would simply say to the child/teenager...If you want to act like an adult than you will be treated as one. When you make mistakes there are always consequences to them.

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting HaydensMommy007:

No, just simple things like, "Be home at midnight." and the teen says "No, I'll be home when I feel like it."

ginene
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:47 AM

To me you have to have them well behaved before teen years and have them respect you. If you say it mean it and no back talk is no back talk.  Allowing it at an early age like 7 and thinking its cute or whatever just leads to an older child getting their way and eventually thinking they are grown.  I never disrespected my parents(I knew I would be on the floor, even though I never tried, I just had that feeling) and my kids 18, 16, never once thought twice about not listening and I never beat them, but pop them when they were younger.  And my 5 and 7 year old plays alot but they aren't bad either.  If you never discipline you can get rebellious kids and if you discipline too much they can be worse. 

It was instill in my head and in my kids head, that even though they have never gone there, if they do, a foot would go straight up their tale.  My friends say I cry wolf because I talk that way and never do it but it seems to work.

wubbunny420
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:50 AM

none apparently

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)