Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So, my husband is deployed and I am spending money. He says it's fair, let me just make sure I'm doing OK..

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:35 AM
  • 12 Replies

He deployed, I have debts that he told me to pay off, not much but like $5,000 tops... I can almost pay it off with our tax return. He has a couple credit lines that i am also paying off, 380, and 400something, so I think I am doing pretty good. But I spend a little here and there, like me and his daughter went to Marshalls yesterday and I got a pair of clearance jeans, and a shirt for her... $22 total... but then I see the bank statement and he has withdrawn $360 in the last 2 weeks!!  He is in Kuwait, what the hell?? I kindly mentioned it to him, and he said he needed socks and he got me some perfume, and little things like cigarettes and drinks... I am trying to save money, he is spending it! I just opened a savings so I can put some of that money away to buy a house... HIS idea! I don't wanna be mean because it is his money, but he is spending it like there's a never ending supply. And we are in the first month. Help?

Sorry, I am not a scrooge, I just try to keep him from spending all his money lol... He'd spend it all in a month if he didn't have someone to tell him no :)

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kodysmommy928
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:38 AM

If you are married the money belongs to both of you, not just him.  You have a right to stash some away for your savings!

crystalearl
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:41 AM

In DH's 1st month deployed he spent anywhere from $200-$400... the guys buy stuff for their rooms. Like my DH got a TV, fridge, 2 rugs, some cleaning supplies... ect ect...

Leener3
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:43 AM

360 in 2 weeks for cigarettes and drinks? I mean I don't know what the cost of living is in Kuwait but it seems like a lot to me. 

NavyWifey122305
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:44 AM

See what we do during deployments is.....

His pay check goes into our joint account BUT on the 1st and 15th I put $100-$200 into his checking account for him ...... If he needs more he will email and ask to see how much "extra" there is and I tell him how much I can spare and put in for him.

Personal power is the life force within everyone. It is the use of our inner energy to influence the quality of life for ourselves and for our children. Personal power is not our physical strength, but rather the drive to accomplish things, the will to love, the energy and commitment to create, to change, to build and to raise healthy, caring children.

mommy4ever07
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:51 AM

When my husband was in Kuwait he spent alot, some of it was internet time, phone calls, things he had forgotten to pack, hygiene items, then when he got to his FOB he bought things for his room, cleaning items, organizers, sheets, things like that. What really helped us was setting us an account locally that neither one of us had a debt card to so that we could spend any money from it.

KT9105
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:53 AM

Yep same thing my hubby did.  Outside of that he doesn't really spend anything out of the ordinary.  But the first bit is expensive.

Quoting crystalearl:

In DH's 1st month deployed he spent anywhere from $200-$400... the guys buy stuff for their rooms. Like my DH got a TV, fridge, 2 rugs, some cleaning supplies... ect ect...

RmeWifey01
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:01 AM

The internet alone is $100 a month, and then if he gets phone cards to call you there is some more. Probably nothing to worry about as long asthe bills and groceries are taken care of first.

beadingmom17
by Rachel on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:06 AM

My dad sort of went gangbusters while in Iraq...my mom had to kindly remind him that things still had to get paid at home!  They can get some great deals at local shops there, so sometimes my dad would go overboard because he "got such a good deal" on stuff.  He'll probably ease up on the spending soon, but make sure you let him know if he's putting you in too tight of a position!

lvnmylif
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:10 AM

Your best bet is going to be to sit down and make financial goals.  Talk to your husband about what he can reasonably take out at any one time and leave leway in the checking account.  He is almost never going to be able to call you first and make sure the funds are clear.  If you leave a 500 gap at all times then you wont run into a problem.  If he is spending more than that you need to have a serious discussion about finances. 

On paying things off and saving money you can do both.  Write everything down on a sheet of paper in one column and your pay in another column.  If his pay is anything like my husbands you wont get the same exact dollar amount every check.  Estimate it on the low end to be sure you aren't going to come up short.  You have months to pay things off and save money.  Each pay day put some into savings and some towards your debt.  Even if you need to take money out of the bank then get money orders to send in once a month to you various creditors.  Pay off the highest interest accounts first then do power payment towards the end of the deployment.  It may seem like you aren't making progress but by the end of this if you stick to it you will be so happy about it.

My husband and I put our financial goals on paper and we have reached all of them with this deployment.  He is coming home to us being in a better financial position and a considerable amount more in the savings.  It's all about budget and sticking to your goals.

JaidedMomOf2
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:13 AM

My husband is also on a deployment! We are Army and he is now out of Kuwait and at his Unit! The first 2wks or however long he was in Kuwait her spent like $200 and that was to stock up stuff. Now he takes out maybe $100 each check and then he he gets his internet each month which comes to just under $300 for the total he spends for the month! His checks go into OUR bank acct and then he has an eagle cash card he takes his money out of the acct with and just uses the eagle card to buy whatever! I wouldnt worry about it right now, just make sure he is aware of things and dont let him spend more then what you agreed he would have in his acct to spend! You should be fine!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)