Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I biting off more than I can chew?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:45 AM
  • 36 Replies

I am taking my 4 boys on a trip to visit friends and family.  I will be driving like 5000 miles or something.  I can't remember the exact numbers.  The trip will probably last about 2.5 weeks, but we are flexible if it needs to take longer.

Am I being unrealistic to think I can do all this driving on my own?

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anetrnlov
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:46 AM

That is a lot of driving but as long as you take breaks as you need them you could do it.  JUST BE CAREFUL DAMNIT!  ;-)

mommyoftwo395
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:47 AM

girl U can do anything U put UR mind 2...I wish U and UR boys the very best and a safe trip...Enjoy and have fun...

USMCBride08

Jeebus! For me thats too much driving! LOL but dh does all the driving. I think if you stretch it out you will do fine though.

Question is: will you kill the kiddos halfway? 

lvnmylif

Well if the going gets tough just have them create you tube videos.  Those will get a laugh out of you.  I think it's totally doable but it's a good thing you have a flexible date.  You may want to take a few day break on your way back home.  Have a great trip.

beadingmom17
by Rachel on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:47 AM

Hmmm...that might get to be REALLY tiring on you!  My husband and I went half and half driving down to TN (Knoxville area) from here (we're in Metro-Detroit) and we were both just totally whipped by the time we got there!  Maybe build in an overnight stop or 2 along the way?  Find some fun things to do or places to stay at?

Kodysmommy928
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:48 AM

Without commiting murder?  I am not sure you can, I know I wouldn't want to be in your shoes for the trip.

allycally
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:48 AM

Id say as long as you end your day every 9/10 hrs of driving you should be fine.  Not unrealistic at all

mrsjedwards

omg. yes.

adding more

how old are your boys! you are braver than i am. i am sure if you allow yourself plenty of time to stop and rest and sleep and stuff you will be fine. MISERABLE but okay :)

i have some authority on this subject :) my parents took me on a road trip to vegas for 8th grade graduation. we left from philadelphia and made it to kansas city. dropped off the rental and took a train the rest of the way lol and a plane home. i dont think they liked driving with a bitchy teen for that long.

RaynesMommy07

u can..just take breaks n get your rest.  have a fun, n safe trip!!!! travel

deltacogirl
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:49 AM

In theory, you should be able to do all that driving.  But practically, it really depends on your boys, their tolerance for being in close quarters with each other, your levels of patience when they are cranky, stuff like that.  I will tell you that I drove from Maine to Texas with my one year old daughter over the course of 4 days with no issues whatsoever.  But that was just one kid, and she was young enough that she really didn't care too much.  No idea how old your boys are.  In any case, I hope it all goes well!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)