Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fainting during pregnancy?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:43 AM
  • 9 Replies

Okay, so I'm entering my 3rd trimester. The past couple days, I've been feeling extremely nauseous and today while I was at work I was standing up for about 20 mins talking to my boss and I got extremely hot (I was sweating), light headed, my heart started pounding, my ears started ringing, my lower back started acheing and then I saw stars. I was a few seconds away from passing out but my Boss sat me down in a chair and gave me some crackers. I thought it could just have been my blood pressure dropping, but I'm not sure. It's never happened to me before so I dont know what to think about it. I did eat breakfast this morning and was drinking water so I dont think it was dehydration but thats what the nurse said when I called my doctor.

If it were an isolated even I wouldnt be so worried, but I was just straightening my hair a few mins ago, and I got the same feeling again. Not to the point where I was going to pass out, but it just seems like the nausea & light headed-ness is getting worse.

My first trimester was fairly easy. I got neasous every now and then, but I never actually threw up. My boss told me the same thing happened to her a lot when she was pregnant. She said the baby just sat on a nerve and stopped the blood flow hence the reason she passed out multiple times during pregnancy. Anyone else experience anything like this?

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:46 AM

I had the same thing happen to me a few times with my 2nd pregnancy. I asked my dr about it, she said it was the blood pumping twice as hard causing it. And to keep hard candies or OJ with me when Im out or going to be on my feet for real long. Try to keep off your feet as much as possible. It scared me the first time cause I never had it with my first. And I had the same exact symptoms you just mentioned.

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:47 AM

During my second and third pregnancies I was like that. I almost passed out several times and actually passed out at a doctors appt once. It was scary but I got through it. My doc said it happens soemtimes so I was not too worried. Just make sure as soon as you start feleing weird you sit down right away.

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:50 AM

Could be that your blood pressure is low. I know that it is lowest during the second trimester, and it can make you feel dizzy and light headed. You said you are about to enter your third trimester, but your blood pressure could still be a bit low. It can also be low blood sugar, if it had been a while since you last ate. Make sure you keep snacks with you. Bring it up to your doctor next time.

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:54 AM

Thanks ladies. I'm so freaked out (esp. since this is the first pregnancy) but I've never passed out before in my life sooo this is all new to me. I read online about blood pressure being the lowest in the 2nd trimester, which is why I thought it might not be that. But, I'll just keep snacks and try to stay off my feet. Thanks for the advice!!

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:54 AM

I had it happened to me a few times last pregnancy and it's already started this one.  I talked to my OB at my appt today and she said the same thing I was told last pregnancy - when I start feeling faint drink water and eat something.  Feel better!

pregnancy calendar

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:26 PM

i'm in my 2nd tri and that happens to me. relax, eat, and drink somehting with a bit of sugar

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:17 PM

i passed out a lot during my whole pregnancy. i ended up on the floor a lot

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:19 PM

I had extremely low blood pressure during my 2nd and 3rd trimester and was doing the same thing. I wasn't put on bed rest because of it, but I was told to limit what I did on my feet and do not take hot showers.

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:23 PM

I fainted like, every day. I still do during my period. Drs say it is extra hormones! I went through SO much testing, and thats all it turned out to be!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)