Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 4:20 AM
  • 28 Replies

so the chance anyone is on is slim but please to those ladies who are ...

DD is 22 months old and started to get sick around 9 last night ... she has been throwing up about every 30 minutes and anything we give her to drink comes up just as quick. She has not had a wet diaper since arond 8 granted she is potty training ... she keeps going to her potty and trying and trying but she gets nothing. She sleeps for about 10 minutes before waking up to get sick. Should I take her to the hospital ... i want to make sure i am not just going to get turned away .. i need to call for a ride which is 30 minutes away so please ladies advice would be great

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 4:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 4:24 AM

get her to the emergency room right away!  i would have gone long ago. she is most likely severly dehydrated. i dont know where you live but im sure the ER cant turn you away ( my mom once made me take my daughter in for eating the non toxic eco friendly dish soap and the saw her anyway)

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 4:25 AM

I wish I had some good advice, but I would just go with my gut if it were me - I have no insight.  Does your hospital have an ask a nurse line that you can call and see what their thoughts are?  If she's trying to go and getting nothing, my first thought would be maybe a bladder infection?  If it were me, I would probably go ahead and take her in, but call and ask a nurse first if you can.

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 4:27 AM

i would take her to the hospital but that is just me cuz I'm kinda paranoid about that stuff. call a nurse line if you can

The local children's hospital can't give out advice over the phone so i am waiting for her pediatricins 24 hour line to call back ... she just let a very small amount of urine but my biggest concern is dehydration ... she wants a pickle now which is funny but i am still worried

well my son was sick like this a couple of days ago and i called the on call pediatrician and he told me to just give lots of pedilite. but trust ur mothers instincts and take her to the ER they can get fluids in her faster through a IV and it should help with the throwing up.

by Sue on Feb. 20, 2010 at 4:27 AM

It is very possible that your DD is getting dehydrated and needs to be seen right away by medicial professionals so she can get an IV. I looked up the symptoms for you on Webmd:

Dehydration - Topic Overview

Dehydration occurs when your body loses too much fluid. This can happen when you stop drinking water or lose large amounts of fluid through diarrhea, vomiting, sweating, or exercise. Not drinking enough fluids can cause muscle cramps. You may feel faint. Usually your body can reabsorb fluid from your blood and other body tissues. But by the time you become severely dehydrated, you no longer have enough fluid in your body to get blood to your organs, and you may go into shock, which is a life-threatening condition.

Dehydration can occur in anyone of any age, but it is most dangerous for babies, small children, and older adults.

Dehydration in babies and small children

Babies and small children have an increased chance of becoming dehydrated because:

• A greater portion of their bodies is made of water.
  • Children have a high metabolic rate, so their bodies use more water.
  • A child's kidneys do not conserve water as well as an adult's kidneys.
  • A child's natural defense system that helps fight infection (immune system) is not fully developed, which increases the chance of getting an illness that causes vomiting and diarrhea.
  • Children often will not drink or eat when they are not feeling well.
  • They depend on their caregivers to provide them with food and fluids.

Watch babies, small children, and older adults closely for the early symptoms of dehydration any time they have illnesses that cause high fever, vomiting, or diarrhea. The early symptoms of dehydration are:

Click above to join our group.

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 4:28 AM

if she were my daughter I would take her in but that's just me.. i'm a worrier. her not going potty doesn't sound good. I would be wondering what was going on. If they can't help you at the ER and they just tell you its normal or w.e. at least you have peace of mind. i'd give her some pedialyte if you've got any.. i'd assume shes not eating since she can't even keep liquids down but I would at least offer her some crackers or toast or something that will absorb the acid in her tummy and even if she does throw up it won't be stomach acid so it won't be as horrible. i'm sorry mama. i'm not a lot of help but I hope she gets better soon and you get the answers you are looking for. good luck and best wishes!

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 4:28 AM

have you been able to take her temp? my girls have been like that before with stomach flu and there wasn't much to be done other than to keep trying to push fluids, dealing with the pukeys and let it run it's course...try popsicles and pedialyte.... also if you get a temp, it's not considered dangerous in a child until 105 (orally) or higher... and obviously if she is lethargic or unresponsive take her immediately

by Sue on Feb. 20, 2010 at 4:29 AM

Symptoms of Dehydration in Children

• Be concerned if your child has an excessive loss of fluid by vomiting or diarrhea, or if the child refuses to eat or drink.

• Signs of dehydration

• Sunken eyes

• Decreased frequency of urination or dry diapers

• Sunken soft spot on the front of the head in babies (called the fontanel)

• No tears when the child cries

• Dry or sticky mucous membranes (the lining of the mouth or tongue)

• Lethargy (less than normal activity)

• Irritability (more crying, fussiness)

When to Seek Medical Care

Infants and small children can become dehydrated quickly.

Contact your doctor if your child has any of the following:

• Dry mouth

• Crying without tears

• No urine output in 4-6 hours

• Sunken eyes

• Blood in the stool

• Abdominal pain

• Vomiting for more than 24 hours, or vomiting that is consistently green in color

• Fever higher than 103°F

• Less activity than usual

• Urination much more than usual

Go to a hospital’s Emergency Department in these situations:

Click above to join our group.

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 4:31 AM

Definetly get her to the hospital, they can give her something to sstop vomiting so she can get fluids and not be dehydrated, we had went through this with our oldest child.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)